- + Follow
Ruth M Furtado
I believe graphic design is about communicating information in creative ways. This is what I attempt to do.
Please note that all work included in my portfolio is the property of those who hold the copyrights.
Ruth M. Furtado
I am a talented Graphic Designer with a sensitivity for layout, typography and color and an eye for detail. I also have some experience in product photography as detailed in my resume and enjoy digital photography as a hobby. I am proficient in Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator by Adobe; Word by Microsoft, and XPress by Quark. I am familiar with PageMaker, Premiere and After Effects by Adobe; Fontographer, Fireworks, Freehand, Dreamweaver and Flash by Macromedia; Lightwave by New Tek; Access, Excel and ProPublisher by Microsoft and Draw by Corel. I can work on both Mac and PC platforms. I have worked in several settings, as detailed in my resume, and can work independently. While I have enjoyed the independence and flexibility of freelance work, I have missed the collaborative process that comes with being part of a team.
As a creative, flexible, dependable team player and independent graphic designer I am currently seeking a position that will allow me to incorporate my personal talent, enthusiasm and knowledge of graphic design with a chance for growth and advancement.
• Laid out several ads for the Geffen Playhouse which appeared in publications such as the LA Times, Los Angeles Magazine and Performances Magazine.
• The acquisition of one of the largest accounts at Key Item Sales based on my innovative graphic designs for marketing a line of jewelry which included packaging and graphic elements.
• Created advertising campaign pieces and custom packaging which launched a line of photo jewelry and accessories internationally.
• Hired as apprentice at Fort USA, within three months became sole in-house artist and graphic designer.
February 20, 2009 - May 11, 2009 Geffen Playhouse Westwood, CA
• Designed ads for several major publications in the Los Angeles area using existing artwork and maintaning the established brand look.
• Resized existing ads to fit ad specs of various publications and creating press-ready PFD files
• Designed oversized lobby banners advertising upcoming productions and provided pre-flighted press-ready files to outside print shops.
• Responsible for page layout of several multi-page programs for plays produced at the Playhouse including “Louis and Keely Live at the Sahara,” “The Seafarer” and three of the“Saturday Scene” productions as well as the cover for the program for their upcoming production, “Farragut North.”
• Provided pre-flighted files to publications and print shops in the required formats via e-mail and ftp, as needed.
• Designed e-blasts, banners, icons and other web-based promo materials.
April 25, 2005 - May 08, 2008 Key Item Sales Canoga Park, CA
• Designed a variety of printed items used in marketing and advertising of products and services, including posters, flyers, sell sheets, catalogs, postcards, point-of-purchase displays and packaging using Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Acrobat.
• Responsible for photographing all new merchandise and editing images as needed using Adobe Photoshop. Also provided spec sheets for prototypes, taking close-up photos of items from several angles to be used by the manufacturer.
• Responsible for all aspects of creating "Beauty Shots" of selected merchandise, including lighting and styling of shots, using a variety of props and backdrops.
• Provided image files to customers in a variety of formats as requested via e-mail, compact disc and ftp, as needed.
• Provided additional assistance to members of the marketing team as needed.
November 21, 2002 - July 31, 2003 North Safety Products Cranston, RI
• Hired as a consultant to photograph products and prepare the images for a new website.
• Organized an image database.
• Provided production assistance to the design team as needed.
July 24, 2001 - May 15, 2002 Fort USA East Providence, RI
• Hired as an apprentice, within 3 months was sole in-house artist and graphic designer.
• Responsible for designing pewter pieces and collateral printed material, including packaging and informational inserts, creating presentational artwork of same for customer approval and revising existing artwork to customer specifications.
• Responsible for overseeing the in-house printing of custom packaging stickers and cameo and shield stickers which are crystal-coated and set into various pewter pieces.
Henri Lou Jewelry 2008-2009
• Photographed select pieces from the line and edited some existing photos.
• Created several retail and wholesale line sheets as multi-page PDFs which were used as the basis for an online catalog.
African Dream Academy 2008-2009
• Did a re-design of their logo.
• Designed corporate identity systems around their logo.
• Created a template for their quarterly e-mail newsletter.
Southern California Chapter of the National MS Society 2008-2009
• Created online pledge sheets for their 2008 and 2009 Bike-a-thon.
• Designed greeting cards for their 2008 holiday pledge drive and 2009 spring pledge drive.
The Tibetan Association of Southern California 2008
• Created a single page newsletter/information mailer from a 2 page Pro-Publisher document.
Mary Jo Matsumoto 2005-2009
Fashion Designer and Style Expert Los Angeles, CA
• Did the production work for Mary Jo Matsumoto’s tee shirt designs for two of her
charitable projects as well as labels for her new line of luxury bath and beauty products,
• Designed line sheets to launch her spring 2006 line of handbags.
• Created vector graphics from her hand drawn illustrations which was used to make custom silk-screened fabric.
• Did the layout for a catalog featuring her new line of couture patent leather handbags.
ASARI Rhode Island Chapter 2004
a professional organization for Automotive Repair Technicians
• Designed the initial layout for their bi-monthly newsletter and responsible for continuing layout for each subsequent issue for 2004.
The Pawtucket Foundation Pawtucket, RI 2003-2004
• Designed invitation package for a poetry reading by Nora Pollard which was part of the Pawtucket Arts Festival and photographed the event for the Foundation’s newsletter.
• Designed all printed materials for the Foundation’s 1st Annual Awards Dinner including Save-the-date postcards, invitation package, program for the event, and table top sineage.
Other Work Experience
October 1989 - May 1998 Corrigan Mental Health Center Fall River, MA
• Established Electrodiagnostic Laboratory, responsible for day to day management of Lab.
• Research team member, responsible for establishing new laboratory policy.
• In-Patient Human Rights Officer, responsible for insuring that In-Patients’ rights are maintained, advocating for patients when needed, informing patients of their rights and establishing new policy regarding Human Rights as needed.
• Responsible for planning and presenting monthly in-house seminars for Department of Mental Health employees.
Proficient in Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator CS3; Microsoft Office, and Quark. Experience with PageMaker, Premiere and After Effects, Fontographer, Dreamweaver and Flash, Lightwave, Access, ProPublisher and Draw by Corel.
Experienced on both Mac and PC platforms.
2001 Certificate in Visual Communications
Katharine Gibbs School Providence, RI
• Named to the Dean’s List four terms.
• Several pieces chosen for exhibit in the Student Gallery.
• Courses included Graphic Design, Typography, Photography, Computer Graphics, Pre-Press, 3 D Design, Computer Animation and History of Graphic Design.
Online portfolio URL
References and physical portfolio
Available upon request
Katharine Gibbs School