- + Follow
Costa Mesa, CA
Costa Mesa, CA
Currently, I am seeking new employment opportunities. Over the past year, I was product manager at Airborne Bicycles (while also covering brand management and marketing duties—I was a one-man show for the brand.). My job entailed developing an entirely new line of bikes, including road, cyclocross and mountain using off-the-shelf frames and components. Limited budgets and resources made the job challenging, but I believe the bikes I designed and spec'd are a vast improvement over Airborne bikes in the past. My goal was to boost the brand image of Airborne, allowing us to increase retail prices and boost margins. In most cases, margins went from a low of around 15% to as high as 42%. The bikes were scheduled to hit the warehouse Nov. 2017 with more available in Spring 2018. Prior to Airborne, I was designing a range of bicycle components for Cycle Group, Inc. (CGI) and it's Box Components and Promax brands. I designed, lead the design of, or collaborated on the design bicycle components, as well as did graphic design, brand management and product management, working with factories in Asia to ensure all products are produced in a timely manner and to our specifications. I graduated with honors from Art Institute of California, Orange County. I also have a Bachelors Degree in Fine Art. Art and design have been my main interest for as long as I can remember. As a journalist covering the technology-intensive bicycle industry, I wrote about all aspects of manufacturing, design, product development, materials and more. I visited more than 50 factories worldwide and have a strong understanding of manufacturing processes and materials.
BOX Components Carbon Fiber BMX Racing Forks
BOX Vector BMX Crankset
BOX Echelon BMX Saddles
As product manager, I designed, developed and spec’d the Airborne 2018 bikes line, working with various manufacturers and assemblers in Taiwan and China. Successfully increased profit margins for the consumer-direct bicycle brand.
As Brand/Marketing Manager for both Airborne and DK Bikes, I worked toward the goal of boosting Airborne’s image and profit margins, leveraging race team successes, improved product design and deeper product range. I worked with BMX and mountain bike athletes worldwide and attended BMX and mountain bike race and consumer events.
Product Design: Design, oversee the design of or collaborate on the design of more than 100 new, BMX and mountain bike components for the BOX and Promax brands. Both BMX lines were immediate successes internationally.
• BMX sales were more than $2.3 million in the first year after product delivery began.
• Design process includes immersion into the BMX scene, market research, initial concepts, sketching, 2D drawing, 3D rendering, prototyping and product management, as well as logo, package and catalog design.
• Work with Taiwan, China and U.S.-based factories to bring products to market.
Brand Manager: Introduced a new esthetic to the BMX market through product design, logos, advertising and packaging, all of which resonated immediately with a notoriously conservative and fickle consumer base.
• Successfully introduced and positioned BOX as a high-end, high-margin aspirational brand while simultaneously re-introducing and positioning Promax as a high-quality, high-value brand.
• Select amateur and professional riders and teams for sponsorship, including Olympic medalists and World and National Champions. Worked with and supported International Distributors at race events.
Marketing Manager: Successfully take care of more than 100 amateur and professional BMX racers.
• Manage event sponsorships, including the number plate sponsorship of the GSX/UCI Supercross World Cup Series. Manage media buys, catalog production, trade show and event marketing, media relations, press releases, dealer communications, social media, etc.
• Responsible for all marketing duties associated with eight bicycle-related brands (Intense BMX, Speed Bicycles, Sinz/Sinz Elite, THE, ITS, EYE BMX, AVE and Vigor) such as team, rider and event sponsorships, copy writing, media buys, catalog production, trade show and event marketing, product development, market research, media relations, press releases, dealer communications, social media, etc.
• Designed new products, soft goods, advertisements, product graphics and frame paint schemes.
• Designed apparel and soft goods as well as packaging and graphics.
• Working with a small design team, developed lighting designs and furniture concepts.
Bachelor of Science in Industrial Design, June 2008 The Art Institute of California-Orange County, Santa Ana, California Graduated with Honors, President and Treasurer of AIC-OC IDSA Club Bachelor of Fine Arts, July 1989 Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio Dean's List