News editor for The Washington Post Express. Loves strawberry licorice, haircuts, red shoes and wine.
Just For Me
Professional journalist with expertise guiding each page from concept to completion—including idea generation, story development, writing, editing, page design, copy editing and proofreading—at major metro daily newspapers and national magazines.
• Write features, briefs, and reviews for major daily newspapers such as The Washington Examiner, The San Francisco Examiner, and The
Baltimore Examiner; regional newspapers such as The Gazette, magazines such as Capitol File and DC Style; and trade publications such as
• Edit and assign all content for four regular sections of The Washington Examiner including Healthy Living, Family Life, Green Scene, and
Science; also edit the Nation, World and White House pages for the Saturday edition. Edit book galleys for consistency, style and grammar
for American Association of Museums and Forest Wood Media Productions.
• Design and layout all pages for the four regular sections edited at The Washington Examiner, as well as Yeas & Nays, the political gossip
column; also design In Focus, Capitol File’s party photo pages.
• Cover diverse subject areas such as education, fitness, science, health, fashion, the arts, environment, music interviews and reviews,
entertainment, beauty, bridal and book features and reviews.
• Research stories across major newswires, and decide which stories to expand in focus as a special to The Washington Examiner.
• Manage editorial teams of up to 10 people, maintain an active log of freelance writing talent, mentor new writers to learn the voice of
each publication and train new designers.
• Won the Second Place award for Feature Design at the 2009 MDDC Press Association Awards.
• Wrote hundreds of articles, briefs, blurbs and product reviews for high-circulation newspapers, magazines and websites.
• Created the visual identity and energetic design templates for the Healthy Living, Family Life, Green Scene and Science sections as the senior
designer at The Washington Examiner; introduced a calendar of events across all sections; and redesigned the Healthy Living section,
turning it into one of the paper’s most-read sections.
• Compiled exhibit write-ups of major exhibitions across the U.S. for every bi-monthly issue of Museum magazine.
• Successfully translated editorial and design internships at Capitol File Magazine and the American Association of Museums into contract
writing, editing and design positions.
Freelance writer, editor and designer | 2006 to present
Forest Woods Media Productions (Alexandria, VA) – Book editor | 2010 to present
Capitol File Magazine (Washington, D.C.) – Freelance designer | 2009 to present
American Association of Museums (Washington, D.C.) – Contract editor | 2009 to 2010
The Washington Examiner (Washington, D.C.) | 2006 to 2010
Page designer and features writer | 2006 to 2010
Healthy Living editor | 2007 to 2010
Family Life editor | 2008 to 2010
Green Scene editor | 2008 to 2010
Saturday News editor | 2009 to 2010
Science editor | 2010
The Gazette/The Star Newspapers (Landover, MD) – Editorial assistant | 2005 to 2006
Minnesota State University, Mankato