- + Follow
Aaron Michael Gordon
Aaron Michael Gordon
I am interested in writing for the best! I have worked extensively in the creative writing field, ranging in experience from over twelve years of advertising and marketing writing, to playwriting and production, to acting and directing. In terms of ad writing and production, I’ve garnered experience at Zimmerman Partners Advertising, ranging from a year and a half as the manager of a team of writers and artists, to five+ years writing National and Regional ads for Nissan and Papa John’s Pizza, as well as countless others, including work on Lennar Homes and Le Meridian hotels.
I then took a position at Full Circle Productions in Atlanta, GA. My responsibilities there have enabled me to take my career to the next stage: branding and ideologically defining real estate developments. I won them their largest account with The Related Group: CityPlace Buckhead: a city within a city like no other city.
From there, I was ‘poached’ by DelucchiPlus, a start-up needing a senior writer to further their branding in real estate. Since I really am much more of a city boy than a southern person, I jumped at the chance. This was an unwise move professionally, so I went to XM Radio, where I worked a little with Lowe and a lot on branding consistency in-house. It’s was a fun job, and a fun place, but they merged with Sirius (and consolidated the marketing department.) So, busy beaver that I am, I went to Rosetta Stone. After more than three years, where I helped launch the company’s first brand identity, voice and integrated branding campaign, I decided to move on and play in the DC market a bit.
Before I began this illustrious career as a wordsmith for ads, I worked in the theatre industry, primarily as an actor, but with plenty of production and writing experience as well. Ironically, it was my experience in theatre that led me to advertising and marketing (as I seemed to be the only one in the artsy crowd who had an inkling towards those concepts.)
The combination of writing in someone else’s voice (advertising) and writing in my own voice (web work/plays) has made me a versatile wordsmith, able to bounce from one mode of creativity to the next. Add the numerous papers and essays I wrote at Florida Atlantic University (Cum Laude graduate), and you’re looking at a writer who has no fear of new, exciting and challenging projects.
I’d appreciate a degree of discretion regarding my current employ. I’d rather keep the position than lose it while in communication with your organization.
Life has taught me that as a creative individual, I am best served by keeping my writing interests diversified, which is why my experience is "all over the map." Over the years, I have perfected the concepts of organization and deadline-based executions, and (particularly as a commercial writer) I have the uncanny ability to pull multiple ideas out of my head at the drop of a hat. Any other information/writing samples are available upon request.
I understand that I may not be the ideal candidate for this position, but if you consider my career, it’s been a series of leaps of faith into the unknown. I was a theatre baby who took a job in advertising…and then I was a studio producer and senior writer on their three most important accounts. I wanted a change of direction, so I began freelancing for real estate, vitamins for born-again Christians (not even kidding,) and not-for-profit organizations, which led me to Full Circle and DelucchiPlus. At Full Circle, I took a stand for branding, as the lessons of Nissan are hard to ignore, and created many campaigns using an ideological ‘brand filter.’ The point is this: I can do anything you ask me to. I have the ambition, the work ethic and the drive to succeed. I merely need the chance.
Rosetta Stone UK Co-branding banners (PDF File)
One Nation, Common Ground: Gettysburg 150 Proposal Creation (PDF File: Large)
Dream House Studios Website (PDF File)
* Wrote and conceived a variety of materials across all platforms and verticals. * Clients include Vocus, Capella Hotels & Resorts, DreamHouse Studios, K. Hovnanian Homes, NDG Communications, The Related Group, e-Site Marketing, Brookfield Homes, TV on Wall Street, V2 Electronic Cigarettes, Proof, Burson-Marseller, Dominion Energy, Fix The Debt and more.
* Conceived and wrote RFP creative proposals for institutional, non-profit and corporate events. This constituted the storytelling role of my work: coming up with the umbrella message and theme for an event, and then demonstrating through the RFP the ways that the theme and message will be brought to life. The proposals included the Gettysburg Commemoration, the Obesity Conference for the National Partnership For America, the annual Aflac Sales Meeting, the AIPAC National Conference, the AIPAC National Summit and more. * Created a variety of materials to support these live or virtual events. This constituted the execution role of my work: taking the ideas from the RFP and turning them into scripts for videos, for walk-in sessions and plenary sessions, for poster lines and copy, and even for original song compositions. * Acted as principal writer on a bi-weekly, in-house web broadcast for Audi: Audi Progress. Worked with the producer on vetting stories, writing and editing the scripts, and in creating and populating a chart of web links for easy use by the digital team. * Supported copy needs throughout the organization: from new headlines and initiative names to teaser videos, smart phone app communications, marketing-related tweets and more. Clients included Galderma, WSWA, the Pennsylvania Convention Center, SmartCMO.com, CSC, Weight Watchers, Mary Kay Cosmetics and others. * Partnered with the other writer to help facilitate a work process and a creative brief system into the organization. * Managed and directed freelance writers on projects when needed.
* Worked as part of an integrated creative team on a variety of clients, ranging from international brands to regional casinos. * Created and wrote original television, radio and print advertisements for Haribo USA, Smart Balance, Visit Baltimore and more. * Wrote and updated the Smart Balance website monthly, as well as coordinating efforts to match the email and blast communications. * Drove every day from the bliss of bucolic Georgetown to the mists of Fells Point in Baltimore, an hour plus commute each way.
* Wrote branded copy across a variety of platforms: television, radio and print advertising, as well as station interstitials, store videos, web, direct mail and form letter. * Worked with the branding agency to insure consistency though all communications. Left when they merged with Sirius.
* Worked with the senior creative staff to create branded real estate campaigns. * Wrote and produced radio, video, print/brochure and internet advertising materials, with a focus of quick production. * Left due to the downturn in the real estate market, as well as some professional issues.
* Responsible for ideologically branding real estate developments. This process included working with three art directors to come up with their individual brand stories and voices, turning that story into examples of print, website, direct mail, email, broadcast and location-based advertising, and in crafting the communication for the client pitch. * Acted as the "brand police" for the creative team, forcing ideas through the "brand filter." * Wrote long-form copy for brochures, website content, and industry magazine articles, all based on the original, ideological brand created. * Crafted headlines and copy for web and traditional media placements.
Advertising Ft. Senior Copywriter/Producer, Print Director * One of only four writers who worked on Nissan of North America nationwide. * Worked my way up the ranks of the organization, starting as a junior copywriter in their retail automotive department and leaving with national, award-winning advertising experience. * Collaborated with editors, directors and artists to produce a variety of campaigns, ranging across all tiers of marketing. Experienced with all aspects of creative work in advertising, from writing and creation to management of production. * Honed my ability to create within a set of "Brand Identity" limits. * Created large, multi-faceted "pitch books, " used to research and target creative work for client pitches. The effort paid off: the "pitch books" for Papa John's and for Six Flags resulted in our successful capture of that business opportunity. * Helped to create Zimmerman's first in-house brand: "Z-Motion." Worked with an editor to create a supporting video used for both lobby engagement and recruitment purposes. * Acted as division lead for Nissan during hurricanes. This responsibility included the setting up of an office at a remote location, the continued processing of the work from the new location, and nightly status sessions with the nationwide team. In one hurricane, this entailed setting up an office and working remotely with a team of four on all Nissan initiatives for nearly a month. * Former administrator of the Print Department, where I managed a team of five junior writers as they processed the quick order needs of hundreds of car dealerships in their weekly advertising push. * Writer and designer of radio, television, print, and internet advertising campaigns. * Clients include Nissan, Papa John's, Levitz, Six Flags, Lennar, Blue Dot and more.
Actor * Organized and planned promotions for the fledgling theatre group, securing funds for television, radio, and print promotions. * Acted as an executive producer, overseeing entire seasons. * Wrote and performed in many plays.
Cum Laude graduate.