lights. camera. action.
2001-05 - Blacksburg, VA
Bachelor of Science in Industrial Design
- Student Merit Award Finalist
November 2011 to Present
Footwear Designer (Running)
I work in all categories, aspects, and phases of creating running shoes. I work with developers, project managers, marketing, and sales to create a brief, create a concept, prototype, develop, cost, color, and sell multiple shoes in multiple categories, overlapping from season to season.
September 2010 to November 2011
Advanced Design Concepts
We consult for a diverse collection of clients such as Lotto, Diadora, Lowa, New Balance, Wolverine, Etonic, and Vibram, to design, develop,a and oversee production of footwear with an emphasis on detail and technology development.
March 2010 to present
Flow Studio www.flowstudioinc.com
Designer / Freelancer
Product, Web, and Graphic Design focused on the Outdoor Industry
July 2008 - March 2010 - Denver, CO
Denver Design Lab (denverdesignlab.com)
Partner / Designer
Graphic Design and branding aimed at Denver's small businesses. We pride ourselves on quality and honesty, connecting appropriate design with those who need it most.
June 2006 - Aug 2007 - Nashua, NH
NEMO Equipment (www.nemoequipment.com)
NEMO is a high-end technology development and design company with its own line of tents.
- In charge of NEMOï¿½s graphic design including ads, catalogs, promotions, and posters.
- Directly involved in marketing strategy and planning.
- Worked with a diverse team to brainstorm, develope, and prototype new products.
- Responsible for NEMO website redesign - check it out.
- Communicated with our Asian manufacturers on construction, materials sourcing, etc.
- Oversaw backpack development. Filed 10 patents.
- Did all tent studio photography and art directed in-field photoshoots.
- Involved in consultancy work for GoLite, MIT, and NASA
Winter 2006 - Portland, OR
- I worked with an amazing team to create one-of-a-kind products
that astound clients and consumers. Present in all design
phases - brainstorming to client meetings.
Spring 2005 - Boulder, CO
Fletemeyer and Lee Associates
Freelance Industrial / Graphic Designer
- Worked with a design team to create a brand and identity for their new line of eco-tourism kit homes.
Summer 2004 - Savannah, GA
- Worked with a team of artists to design, create, and install
large public sculpture; worked directly with clients, other artisans, and suppliers
- I worked on a sculpture installed in the Dallas / Ft. Worth Airport at present
Summer 2003 - Groton, CT
Pfizer Inc. - Creative Services Dept.
Graphic Design Intern
- Worked individually and in collaboration with Pfizerï¿½s corprate designers to create graphic solutions for internal clients
The Bike Depot
Denver, CO 9/2008 ï¿½ now
Volunteer / Bicycle Mechanic / Teacher
- A community-based non-profit that provides free bikes, maintenance help, and safety education to those in need.
Nova Scotia www.ahernandowen.blogspot.com
East and West 5/2008 - 7/2008
- Bicycled 1500 km, with my brother, from Boston to Cape Breton Highlands National Park.
New Zealand www.ahernnz.blogspot.com
Literally Everywhere 11/2007 - 5/2008
Surfer / Bicycle Tourist / Hitch hiker / Pear Harvester
- I kicked off my lifetime goal of world travel and discovered my second home down south. I supported myself with orchard and farm work.
IDSA Student Chapter
Blacksburg, VA 2002-05
Vice President / Outreach Coordinator / Graphics Chairman
CCFJ Painting Collaboration
Blacksburg, VA 2002-05
Cofounder / Oligarch
- A collaborative effort of students creating paintings and exhibiting work.
VT Outdoor Club
Blacksburg, VA 2002-03
- Co-led fellow students mountain biking, whitewater, hiking, and caving trips.
Boy Scouts of America
Lisbon, CT & Portage, MI
- Flower Garden Eagle Project included 600 man hours of stone masonry and $2000 in donations I raised.
Foriegn Exchange Student
Alexandroupolis, Greece Summer 1999
- A seven week imersion program with a Greek family.
- Adobe CS Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
- 3-D Modeling
- Adobe Premier
- Adobe After Effects
- MS Office
- Studio Photography
- Sewing (soft goods prototyping)