- + Follow
Graphic Designer, Web Developer, and Communications Strategi...
I’m a Graphic Designer and Web Developer. My job is to execute campaigns that communicate a message about an organization, a product, or a movement.
Below you will see my work experience & education. You can view more of my portfolio by clicking PORTFOLIO in the top right corner or by visiting coroflot.com/angelnelson/portfolio
ICHAD 2012 Promotional Materials
Chesapeake Bay Flavor Advertising Rates Card
State of Maryland DHR Website
- State of Maryland Department of Human Resources
- Baltimore, MD
- Aug 2012 - Present (1 year 4 months)
I joined the Communications Office of the State of Maryland Department of Human Resources (DHR) as they were moving their old website to WordPress. Now I am a part of a team that manages the online presences of over 50 unique services & programs conducted by all 24 offices of DHR. My duties include:
• Developing and editing web pages using HTML, CSS, Photoshop, & WordPress,
• Creating courses and monitoring student accounts in the DHR Training Center, and
• Providing technical support to employees using the internet & intranet websites of DHR.
- Public Websites: dhr.maryland.gov (Primary website), news.dhr.maryland.gov (News website), and training.dhr.maryland.gov (Training Center built using Moodle, a course management system).
Independent Graphic Designer and Web Developer
- Angel Nelson Design
- May 2007 - Present (6 years 7 months)
I help businesses develop their promotional efforts, their social media presences, and their websites. You can view my work by visiting coroflot.com/angelnelson. Below I’ve provided a list of recent projects.
• Jacob’s Ride, www.jacobsride.com
Jacob’s Ride is a non-profit that raises awareness about cochlear implants. Jacob Landis, who went deaf at age 10, is riding to all 30 major league baseball stadiums to raise $1 million for those who cannot afford cochlear implants. I contributed to the project by developing, designing, and maintaining their website, press room, blog, and social media presences.
• ICHAD 2012 Conference, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health
I developed the visual identity of the promotional materials (media kit + event program) for the first annual ICHAD 2012 Conference (International Conference on Health in the African Diaspora) in Baltimore, Maryland.
• Uganda Empowers, http://www.ugandaempowers.org/
• Cut Cloth, http://www.cut-cloth.com/
• Noah Messing, http://noahmessing.com/
Graphic & Web Designer via Graduate Assistantship
- Philadelphia University
- Philadelphia, PA
- Jan 2010 - May 2012 (2 years 4 months)
Students awarded Graduate Assistantships have the opportunity of working within multiple departments. I’ve worked for the Technology Help Desk as a Web Designer and Switchboard Operator and with Study Abroad as a Graphic Designer. As a Web Designer, I’ve used HTML, CSS, and jQuery to edit Philadelphia University’s website (philau.edu/oir) using Cascade Server. As a Switchboard Operator, I’ve handled both technological and non-technical requests from clients. As a Graphic Designer, I’ve drafted promotional fliers, brochures, and posters.
Circulation Promotional Designer
- Capital Gazette Communications
- Annapolis, MD
- Oct 2007 - Jan 2010 (2 years 3 months)
I have designed, edited, and printed promotional materials for The Capital Newspaper & the Maryland Gazette. Promotional materials include newspaper advertisements, inserts, direct mailers (letters and postcards), fliers, rack cards, posters, signs and web advertisements.
- Master's of Science Interactive Design and Media
- 2010 - 2012
Morgan State University
- Bachelor's of Arts Graphic Design
- 2003 - 2007