One-man publication design shop (with team for hire).
October 2000 to present
Principal, art director, graphic designer, and photo scout.
• Art Direction and design for all things print: books, magazines, catalogs, direct mail, signage, packaging and branding. Specializing in start-ups, redesign, photo art direction, catalog layout, corporate identity, and other print needs for a variety of clients including: MSP Communications, Minnesota Public Radio, University of Minnesota Press, PNC Bank, and Redleaf Press. Location scout for clients such as Marshall Fields, Midwest Living and Creative Publishing International.
Minnesota Monthly Publications (Minneapolis, MN)
March 2000 to October 2000
Senior art director for Minnesota Monthly Publications. (20 issues/yr.)
• Responsible for creative direction and design of three magazines including Minnesota Monthly, Midwest Home & Garden, and tcTaste. Managed art staff, coordinated photo shoots, set and maintained art budget, and improved production by going direct-to-plate in the printing process. Principle designer in charge of covers, features, and graphic standards.
June 1994 to October 2000
Art director for Midwest Home & Garden.
• Designed all covers, features, and departments for a bi-monthly shelter magazine, managing budget and meeting deadlines. Other duties include scouting homes and gardens, hiring photography, and styling interiors at photo shoots. Built magazine from two issues to six issues per year. Rated “most-improved magazine” in 1998 by Minnesota Magazine Publishers (MMPA). “Best overall design” in 1999.
May 1997 to May 2000
Art director for tcTaste Magazine.
• Instrumental in launching the new Twin Cities food and wine magazine. Designed all departments and occasional features. Developed logo and promotional materials for Twin Cities Food & Wine Show, including posters and programs.
June 1992 to February 1999
Associate art director for Minnesota Monthly.
• Created the look of the magazine’s dining guide, travel section, and “up front” departments. Scanned and color-corrected photography and illustration, circulated page layouts through the editorial department, and attended necessary press checks.
Kiosk Magazine (Lawrence, KS)
December 1990 to May 1992
Art director for the University of Kansas art and literary magazine.
• Responsible for selecting art, managing six designers, budget, and production.
Oread Advertising (Lawrence, KS) December 1989 to May 1992
Creative director for full-service,
student-run advertising agency.
• Created ad campaigns for eight regional clients using multiple mediums: print, radio, newspaper, and billboards.
(Knoxville, TN) Summer 1991
Design Intern for the Educational Network, which produces Channel One (television) and publishes Big Picture, Connections, and Campus Voice (nationally distributed over-sized posters targeted to elementary, high school, and college students).
• Responsibilities included layout, type/color specing, and type/image sizing for traditional paste-up.
Mac OSX (CS3 Environment)
InDesign, Quark XPress, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat, Excel.
University of Kansas (Lawrence, KS)
B.F.A. in visual communications with emphasis in graphic design.