I am Bijaya Mukherji, a Passionate Fashion/Textile and Apparel and Accessories Designer from Premier Indian Design Institute, National Institute of Design, (www.nid.edu).
Presently working wt an internationally reputed Indian Industrial Design Firm, which deals with Luggage Design. I am able to fuse my knowledge of fabrics, Print Design(Graphics) with possibilities of a 3D Product design.
Earlier, I've had the opportunity to work with few of the top Designers and Organisations in Textile and Apparel sector.
Lakme Fashion Week 2007-Independent Collection
Fashion/Textile and Apparel and Accessories Designer
4 yr Diploma in Textile and Apparel Design
NID, Ahmedabad (2002-06)
Date of Birth – 23.07.1984
Present Profile: Presently working as an Assistant Manager, Design wt a reputed Industrial Design Firm, dealing with Luggage Design.
Last Profile: Working on the Fall Winter 2010-11 Collection for domestic brand Tarini. Working on the Home furnishings(Surface ornamentation and embroidery techniques) for the Christmas fair, for the European market and Womenswear for the Domestic market.
Womenswear and Menswear, Kidswear, Home furnishings and Lifestyle Products – (Woven and Knit Fabrics, Prints, Surfaces and Embroideries)
Objective – To contribute to the industry of Fashion and Garments, with embedded creativity, innovation and comfort, while keeping in mind the need for distinction as well as conformity of the final product. Also, to combine time and people management skills, aligned with the corporate objective, to understand professional environment and capitalize on opportunities.
Core Strength Areas
- Strong understanding of Fashion Forecast and Trend Analysis.
- Excellent understanding of Product Design from a technical perspective i.e. various surface explorations(prints, surface techniques and embroideries are a forte), pattern making, approvals of toils and tec pack making.
- Strong at Computer aided Designing ( Adobe Illustrator / Indesign / Photoshop, Microsoft Office) and Hand Illustrations.
- Strong at Print/Graphic Design.
- Adept at Fabric, Trim Sourcing and Vendor handling.
- Ability to function within challenging deadlines and work with different profiles of designing from high-fashion garments to Indian wear, prêt lines to western clothing.
- Outstanding leadership qualities with ability to coordinate and direct all phases of projects like costing and range planning while managing, motivating and leading the involved teams.
Degree / Level University / Board Score
Diploma National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad 9.7/10
AISSCE (Class XII) CBSE, Science 74.5%
CISCE (Class X) ICSE, Science 81%
Awards at School level
- Won multiple awards in Creative Writing, Poetry, Music and Elocution competitions at junior school and high school levels.
- Winner of the 3rd Prize at Intercollegiate Debate Competition in Std XII, Bishop Conrad, Bareilly.
- Won awards in athletics, 100 meters Sprinting in school.
- Been an active member of the Theatre and Film Group at School and NID in the fields of Costume Design and Acting.
Mar09 – May09 | Womenswear High Fashion/Contemporary with RITU KUMAR.
Trend Forecasting, Storyboard Making, Illustrations, Swatches (prints/embroideries/surface design), Developing artworks along with Artists, Garment Construction, Tec packs, Sampling till pre- production, Costing.
- Fabrics – Woven – Chanderi, Chiffon, Georgette.
- Products – A range of beautifully embroidered Contemporary, Stylized Kurtas, Tunics and Shirts with bottoms and dupattas.
Oct07 | LAKME FASHION WEEK, Mumbai,India Independent
- Showcased a much appreciated Collection, by Judges and Media, (Classic- Contemporary Womenswear Collection) at the Premium Fashion event of India, National Centre for Performing Arts. Receiving the second highest grade of 9.3 from the panel of International Judges, the Collection was a classic hit, styles from the collection getting featured in Vogue.
March 10-June 10 | Export House, Pulse, U.S and U.K Market
Recently finished a Project with Export House, Pulse, New Delhi on beautifully designed Home Furnishings, catering to the U.S and U.K market, customers like Pier 1, Crate and Barrel, Anthropology, Wood and Sherer etc.
Sep09 – Dec09 | Menswear Sports for REEBOK, Domestic market
Fashion Forecasting, Storyboard making, Graphic Illustrations, Garment Conceptualization, Fabric and Trim selection, Tec packs, Looking over Sampling, Approving Prototypes and Strike offs, Handover to Production Team.
- Fabrics - Flat and Circular knits - Jerseys, Fleece varieties, Interlock, Acrylic, Poly and Woolen blends and Mélanges. Woven – Cotton blends, Nylon, Polyester blends.
- Products - Jackets, Pullovers, Tee shirts, Polo, Sweatshirts, Tracksuits, Shorts
May08 – Mar09 | Woven Fabrics and Surface Design for JHARKHAND GOVT..
Textile Development (Woven Fabrics, Scarves and Surface Design) and Apparel Design. The unique woven Designs were a top seller in the Metros of India. Sampled with BAL Corporation (Japan), Bomb (Rome), Moda Diseno Y Estilismo (Spain), HHEC (India) etc.
Haveli (High Fashion Designer Label, INDIA) | Dec 05- May 07 – Developed a Range of High Fashion/Contemporary Womenswear for Page-3 Celebrities and likes in the Domestic Market. The Collections, rich in surfaces and prints have been best sellers of the Boutique till date in various color ways irrespective of season.
Jagriti (NGO, INDIA) | May 09- June 09 - Developed a range of very successful Recycled Lifestyle Products made of recycled woven fabric, with Village Women, targeting Domestic market and similar concerns in USA. NGO has earned multiple Projects and multiplying sales at every exhibition since.
Community Friendly Movement (NGO, INDIA) | Jan 08- March 08 - Developed a Range of High end, Hand Block Printed Home Linens and Stylish Bags. A revolution in hand block printing for CFM, these international quality designs were best sellers since the past two seasons in the Domestic market, Africa and Latin America.
Century Overseas (Export House, INDIA) | Sep 07- Nov 07 - Designed a range of High Fashion Womenswear for Polish Buyer, Monarri. 10 out of 16 Designs were selected for final sampling.
Awards and Recognitions
- Showcased personal collection, which was judged to be the 2nd best of the Gent next category in 2007 at Lakme Fahsion Week, in Mumbai.
- Won the Safari “Creative Hat Design” Challenge on National TV Channel, NDTV Good times in 2008.
- Won the Third Prize at “Kimaya Natural Fibre Design, BLEACH” Competition in 2004, Ahmedabad.
-Main Designer at the “Vodafone (Hutch) Colors” fashion show at Daffodils, New Delhi, 2005.
National Institute of Design
Won the "creative Hat Challenge" on National Telivision channel, NDTV Good times' show "I am too sexy for my shoes"
Won the third award at Kimaya 'Bleach' awards
Awards for Sports, Elocution and debates.