I am a seasoned global design leader and registered architect with over 15 years of experience on many diverse projects. I excel at concept design with strong identity, material sensibility and connection to 'place.' I have a proven track record managing a team toward success on brand-building retail and award winning hospitality and residential designs. I love design, the way we as designers think and I am ever curious to get going on my next big project or design challenge. It is a lifelong process of endless discovery and I truly feel blessed to have found my calling; roll out the trace!
John D. Boline AIA
162 B 15th Ave Seattle, WA 98122 (206) 708-9874 email@example.com
To secure a design director position allowing me to further apply my leadership skills and passion for design. I have a diverse design background and I offer a creative approach to bring fresh design ideas to the studio and built environment through inspired, design-based leadership. I have a proven track record with world-class projects and have the ability to rally up support and excitement around each unique project. I lead by example and create opportunities for human connection, interaction and delight on every project.
I am motivated by excellent design and enjoy exploring design solutions both digitally and by hand. I take pride in passing along these skills and mentoring and growing design staff. I feel that these skills coupled with business acumen and knowledge of construction allow me to develop creative design ideas that are feasible and within budget. I am passionate about promoting and selling design solutions to leadership, clients and stakeholders.
STARBUCKS COFFEE INTERNATIONAL Seattle, WA 2007 – 2012 (present)
Sr. Design Manager – International February 2011 – Present
· International Senior Concept Designer leading flagship designs in Asia Pacific and China.
· Collaboration and promotion of high design between designers in Seattle and within each international global business unit. A full understanding of the importance of creating strong cross-cultural business relationships as the foundation of his success on projects.
· Elevating the Starbucks brand portfolio in key international cities through the incorporation of sustainable and locally relevant designs. Lead designer for India flagships and market opening.
· Pushing the envelope of how our customers interact with the brand through the design of new façades, signage expressions and interior layouts/details that surprise and delight our customers. The cohesion and synergy between the aforementioned principles allow for the continual advancement of design while staying true to the Starbucks brand.
Design Manager – International May 2007 – February 2011
Design leadership and management of a cross-cultural store development team responsible for new stores in China and Central Europe. My design solutions include locally relevant and custom details that help differentiate and build the brand in these new and emerging markets. I managed 4 dedicated full-time designers and closely aligned with business partners abroad to maintain design excellence that met or exceeded Starbucks development goals. My quarterly travel to international markets has helped me build strong relationships and given me insight into exciting global design trends.
· Awarded ‘Partner of the Quarter’ in January FY09 for designing and opening the first five stores in Wuhan, China.
· Opened new markets in Poland and Hungary while expanding the Russia portfolio.
GGLO Seattle, WA 2005 - 2007
Project Architect Design, master planning and management of large mixed-use projects. I managed the scope, design, fee, contractor and consultant teams on these diverse projects. I was recognized as the go-to person for technical detailing and code related issues.
MULVANNYG2 ARCHITECTURE Bellevue, WA 2002 - 2005 Project Designer Design of large scale hospitality, multi-family, mixed-use and retail projects. I gained working knowledge of building codes and successfully achieved discretionary design approval on several large projects. I gained exciting international design experience working from concept through documentation under the guidance of many talented architectural mentors. Architectural Technician Bellevue, WA 2000-2002 Construction administration applied to tenant improvements, retail and corporate business support services. As an architectural technician I gained construction knowledge and experience as a project manager.
J.T. SMEDBERG AND ASSOCIATES Crosslake, MN 1999 - 2000 Project Designer
Master Planning, conceptual design, design development. Design of a Traditional Neighborhood Development.
North Dakota State University - Fargo, ND
• Bachelor of Architecture
• B.S. Environmental Design
• European Study
• Licensed Architect State of Washington
• LEED AP
I enjoy quality time with my family, a good laugh, running, snowboarding, and travel. It is in these activities that I energize and recharge myself to bring balanced creativity to the office.
AIA - American Institute of Architects (Licensed Member)
USGBC – United States Green Building Council
Selected Projects www.coroflot.com/boline_john:Starbucks Coffee – China/Czech Republic/Hungary/Poland/Russia/India/Singapore/Hong KongDesign and management of several high profile sites in new and emerging global markets. 2007-2012
Starbucks Store Designs include:
· Current Flagship Designs in India/China/Hong Kong that push the boundaries of the Starbucks Flagship Experience (Slow coffee expertise, digital experience/photo booth, local custom casework and custom furnishings). Development and deployment of elevated cross-functional brand strategy to include table service/beer and wine/hand crafted baked goods/hot plated food/local relevance.
· Store Design of the Year: West End, Budapest. Taking a no personality mall casino site and transforming it into Starbucks 3rd place coffee culture.
· Rochester House Singapore: Transformation of a 1920’s Black and White Colonial into a Starbucks Coffee House with period details and expanded product offering.
Lorig Sevencom - Tacoma, WADesign, documentation and coordination of an 89 unit mixed use apartment building. 2007
Port Gardner Wharf - Everett, WAPhase one master planning and design of 159 residential flats, townhouses, and restaurant/retail uses on the water in Everett, Washington. 2006 www.portgardnerwharf.com
Lake City Retail - Seattle, WAMaster plan and initial design concept for large multi-tenant retail complex in Seattle’s Lake City Neighborhood. I provided zoning analysis, renderings and early design guidance. 2006
The Esplanade at Foss Waterway Condominiums - Tacoma, WA 9 story mixed use condominium building located on the Foss Waterway in downtown Tacoma. I brought the project through approval with the Foss Waterway Design Authority. I also worked out unit plans, and provided renderings and technical leadership through the schematic, DD and CD phases. 2004-2005 http://www.theesplanadetacoma.com
The Villages at Harbor Hill - Gig Harbor, WA 30,000 s.f. of retail shops that embody the timber, maritime and agrarian heritage of Gig Harbor. I worked on establishing the guidelines, site entitlement and building designs for 5 multiple tenant retail buildings. 2004-2005 http://harbor-hill.com/
Shanghai Fudan Hotel (Crowne Plaza) - Shanghai, China - 20 story hotel located on the south campus of Fudan University. Restaurants, conference center, exhibition hall, and a spa are located on the first four floors of the building. I focused on the shell and podium design as well as working out unit plans and the entertainment podium design. 2004
Zhangjiang Semiconductor Industry Park - Shanghai, China 118 acre technology park that seeks to establish the city of Shanghai as a leader in world technology. My focus was on the design of the master plan, central view tower, and café buildings along the rerouted river as a respite from offices. 2003
Costco Fresh - Bellevue, WA New concept grocery store for Costco. The client relied on us to create a new brand that is more accessible to the scale and character of an urban grocery market. I provided building designs and branding support. 2003
Pascal Sherman Indian School - Nespelem, WA - Master plan and building design competition for the Confederated Colville Nation Tribes. An ‘education village’ concept was applied to campus building designs that symbolize the tribes’ historical and cultural beliefs. 2003
Costco Seattle North - Seattle, WA - An urban site that explored the possibilities of big box retail in a multistory format on a dense, urban site. 2003
Costco San Luis Obispo - San Luis Obispo, CA - I took project from site plan approval through design review to gain approval of the 1st big box retailer in this strict architectural community. 2002
Hunt Technologies - Pequot Lakes, MN - 200 acre master plan and design of new company headquarters that captured and protected the natural features of this wooded site. 1999
Kavli Woods - Crosslake, MN - Traditional Neighborhood Development involving the creation of the covenants, codes and restrictions as well as the design of six custom homes around a common court. 1998