- + Follow
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Sculptor and modelmaker - temp overview
Red Dwarf Animated
Stargate SG1 Animated
CAREER TO DATE -
DWP – Jobcentre Plus, Nottingham - July 2009 – July 2011
Diary Admin Support Officer/Assistant Adviser
Freelance Sculptor August 2008 – Present
Undertook a number of freelance projects including Stargate figurines for QMx in the US and a currently unreleased project for Lunartik in the UK.
Pacemaker UK Ltd, Nottingham - April 2006 – August 2008
· Sculpting and model making
· Design of figurines using sketches and sketch models.
· Sculpting of figurines using various materials including sculpting waxes, polymer clays, epoxy putties.
· Moulding and casting of figurines in silicones and polyurethane resins.
· Painting and finishing of figurines.
· Product design
· Sketching product concepts.
· Product artwork creation and alteration.
· Packaging design.
· Liaising with illustrators in order to have designs prepared for printing.
· Range planning.
· Design approvals.
· Promotional artwork creation and approvals.
· Product approvals at all stages
· Concepts and prototypes
· Pre-production and production samples
· Liaising with Brand Licensors and approval teams of the following brands -
· Mr Men
· Thomas and Friends
· Working on the ‘in house’ brands - The Turds
· Liaising with manufacturers for – Quotes, Product samples and Product approvals
· Other activities including -
· Documenting day to day progress
· Receiving and documenting samples
· Dealing with telephone enquiries
· Courier deliveries, etc. as part of a small team
· Attending trade shows on behalf of PUK (Memorabilia, NEC Spring Fair, London Toy Fair)
Freelance Sculptor - Feb 2004 – April 2006
Undertook a number of freelance projects including developing a figurine and doll range.
Also freelance work for Pacemaker UK working on ‘The Turds’ and ‘Bad Ass Cars’ figurine ranges.
Synapse Creative, Watford - Aug 1998 -Feb 2004
· Sculpting and model making
· Worked on toys and character products for various different companies including
· Royal Doulton
· Worked on various brands such as
· Disney (Winnie the Pooh, Mickey Mouse etc)
· Warner Bros (Looney Toons, Harry Potter)
· BBC (Bob the Builder, Teletubbies, Tweenies, Fimbles)
· Fox (Simpsons)
· Aardman (Chicken Run)
· Hensons (Hoobs)
· Lucasfilm (Star Wars)
· Hasbro (Risk, Monopoly, D&D , Action Man, A.T.O.M)
· Sculpting in materials including sculpting waxes, polymer clays, carving foam, epoxy putty.
· Working in a wide range of scales from 16mm to 5 foot (majority of work under 6").
· Moulding (set up, pouring and de-moulding) and casting (mostly polyurethane resins).
· Preparing castings to master pattern standard and to master colour model standard including paint matching to Pantone references.
· Virtual sculpting using the Freeform sculpting system.
· Teaching other staff on how to use Freeform
· Ability to work alone or as part of a team to tight deadlines.
· Required to work to very high level of detail.
· Some general office skills e.g. photocopying, filing and some record keeping.
· Documenting progress of work.
· Presentation of work progress to clients.
Prelude Ltd, Newcastle on Tyne - December 1997
This temporary role required me to learn new working practices very quickly, while producing high quality
BA(Hons)Information Design 2.2 grade
Sunderland University, Sunderland - 1995 - 1998
Covering all areas of the design field relating to the transmitting of information (magazines, posters, adverts etc.), and specialised in model making.
The course also covered other areas including business studies, and allowed me to develop excellent time management, communication and presentation skills.
BTEC Foundation Studies in Art & Design
Newcastle College, Newcastle on Tyne - 1994 - 1995
Covered all major areas of the art and design world including Fine Art, Graphic Design, 3D Design, Photography and Film, Fashion and Textiles
Berwick High School 1989 – 1994
A-level - Technology – B, Art - D.
9 GCSEs, including Mathematics, Dual Sciences, English, Technology and Art at grades A-C
SKILLS AND INTERESTS
· I consider my ability to learn a sculpting style one of my strong skills.
· Full clean driving licence.
· High levels of attention to detail, developed through working to demanding standard requirements.
· I have excellent levels of computer literacy, including regular use of MS Word, Excel, AdobePhotoshop and Illustrator.
· I am very self motivated and have enjoyed taking responsibility for completing projects.
· I am adaptable and a fast learner, as demonstrated by being one of only three chosen to receive training on the virtual sculpting system 'Freeform', which I was then asked to teach to my colleagues at Synapse Creative.
· Currently teaching myself to use Zbrush virtual sculpting software
University of Sunderland