- + Follow
Trek and Bontrager Technical Manager for South Africa at The...
Cape Town, South Africa
I have 7 years Bicycle industry experience and a proven track record, delivering unparalleled service and attention to detail. My skills will offer your customers an enhanced user experience, creating brand champions and guaranteeing you success. What's your challenge?
- Provided technical support for the Sani2c for 60 Trek Riders.
- Provided technical support for the joBerg2c for 26 Trek Riders.
- Managed and coordinated technical support on my 5th ABSA Cape Epic for 55 Trek Riders and neutral support for all 1200 riders in the field at 2 Tech Zones. Hired and trained 11 staff.
- Trek and Bontrager Technical Manager for South Africa at The Bicycle Company.
- Custom Racing Bikes: designing and manufacturing carbon bicycle frames.
- Bike Carrier Systems: providing daily technical assistance to cyclists.
- Provided technical support on the forth consecutive ABSA Cape Epic tour, not a single DNF for mechanical reasons in four years. 9 teams, first pro team, Momsen Robert Daniel, they won 4 stages.
- Protoform, Cherry Flava - CAD models.
- Grey G2 - CAD models and concept designs for British American Tobacco (BAT).
- ABSA Cape Epic - 4 teams.
- C. O. Designs - Designer. New office furniture ranges.
- B-Tech Industrial Design specialising in Product Design.
- Haldane Martin - Junior designer: Polyhedra Table, Babapapa Lounger and Cape Town Design Indaba.
- Dragons Sports - Designed the new aluminium, Avalanche 29er, MTB frame.
- Protoform, Dental inventor - CAD models.
- ABSA Cape Epic - 10 teams.
- Elizabeth Galloway Fashion School - Designed and manufactured their school trophy.
- ND Industrial Design.
- Haldane Martin - Junior designer: Polyhedra Table and Cape Town Design Indaba.
- ABSA Cape Epic - 2 teams.
- Refresh Media - Designed and manufactured a camera dolly.
- Haldane Martin - Junior designer: Fiela Chandelier. Produced various furniture prototypes.
- Action Cycling - Mechanic and Salesman.
Custom Racing Bikes
Trek and Bontrager Technical Manager for South Africa
- The Bicycle Company
- Nov 2012 - Present (1 year 1 month)
In this new position I will be working with a great brand and company and thoroughly look forward to making the Trek name in South Africa awesome. My role includes:
- Workshop Management
- Demo Fleet Management
- Warranty Support
- Events Support
- Technical Training of Bicycle Shop Mechanics
Freelance Designer & Bicycle Mechanic
- Custom Racing Bikes / Bike Carrier Systems
- Jan 2012 - Dec 2012 (11 months)
As a freelance designer I search endlessly for cool new technologies, product concepts, while reading mountains of literature on marketing and business thinking. I am constantly analysing new trends trying to predict future ones, to be the first to find the gap. I convert customers concept sketches into 3D models ready for rapid prototyping. Give design input and manufacturing advice.Freelancing leaves me the time to pursue my greatest love, bicycles... I fix them, ride them and make them as often and as much as I can.
- Haldane Martin
- Jun 2008 - Jul 2011 (3 years 1 month)
Working with Haldane Martin was always an inspiring event. Whether designing and refining the R160 000, laser synthesized, polyhedra table or R50 000, cnc bent, Babapapa chaise lounge, we always strove pushed the boundaries of what is possible.
Team Manager, Project Manager, Designer, Accountant
- Root Design Studio SA
- Feb 2011 - Jun 2011 (4 months)
As the team manager of RDS I was tasked with coordinating the groups movements: meetings with supplier, manufacturers, test groups, design session and creating the schedule for work flow. Assisted in the design of the team's products and ran the accounts for the team, making sure that we made the prescribed profit in the allocated time frame.
Professional Bicycle Mechanic and Salesman
- Action Cycling
- Jun 2006 - Nov 2007 (1 year 5 months)
Basically I ran the bike shop with two other guys.
We all did everything from maintaining the bikes to selling the bikes and everything in between including stock take ETC.
Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- B-Tech Degree Industrial and Product Design
- 2008 - 2011
Johan van Niekerk, B-Tech lecturer, confirms that Calvin Botha obtained a Degree in Industrial Design with an aggregate of 74%, consistently ranking in the top 5%. Calvin is an expert, proficient in all areas of Industrial Design. The work produced throughout his 4 years was done in a meticulous manner and the quality was consistently finished to the highest standards. Over and above his technical skills Calvin was an exemplary student. His personal demeanour was always calm and collected, engaging courteously even in challenging situations. He completed his tasks timorously, in 4 years he never handed in late. I would happily recommend Calvin as I would consider him to be a valuable member and asset to any team, who consistently achieved top class results and delivers above all expectations. Yours faithfully, Johan van Niekerk email@example.com
Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- Diploma with distinction in Business Studies Industrial Design
- 2006 - 2010
South African College Schools
- Finished Grade 12 with University Exemption Maths, Science, English, Afrikaans, Art, Geography
- 2001 - 2005