- + Follow
freelance fashion designer, stylist, artist
-BS in fashion design from the University of Cincinnati's College of Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning (DAAP)
-recent position as veil artist at bridal accessories studio, PARIS. A selection of veils produced are sold on www.bhldn.com, Anthropologie's wedding retail website.
-currently a freelance designer, stylist and artist.
---Range of freelance projects:
- custom clothing design and construction, alterations, and jewelry-making
- fashion illustration, 2D illustration used for corporate marketing
- fashion styling of products, both hard lines and soft goods, flat, table top, and on figure
- teaching basic sewing/fashion design lessons
- repair and restoration of vintage textiles
- internship/volunteer work in the Fashion Arts/Textiles department of the Cincinnati Art Museum
-Interested in freelance work, part-time/full-time positions, and the opportunity to travel
portfolio and press images
senior thesis collection
University of Cincinnati, Honors Scholars Program.
2005 to 2010. Cincinnati, OH.
• Bachelor of Science in Design, Magna Cum Laude.
• College of Design, Architecture, Art and Planning (DAAP).
• Major: Fashion Design, Design Track. GPA: 3.8/4.00, Dean’s List 12 Quarters.
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
• Recipient of Cincinnatus Randolph Century Scholarship to the University of Cincinnati
• 2005 to 2010: Completed over 100 hours of community service to maintain UC scholarship
• Accepted into International Education Programs (IEP) internship program in Florence, Italy in summer 2009; successfully completed one-month intensive Italian language course at Istituto Europero
• Held position as first IEP campus representative for the University of Cincinnati
• Maintained high grades to be asked to join Alpha Lambda Delta, a collegiate national honor society
• Completed coursework: senior thesis design, portfolio, figure drawing, fashion illustration, fashion photography, fashion design construction, patternmaking, draping, tailoring, knitwear, millinery, fashion history, art history, textiles, fashion industry, digital design/CAD, philosophy, economics, marketing, sociology, psychology, French and Italian languages, global studies, Ohio, Chinese, and world history
• Skilled in Adobe Creative Suite programs, Microsoft Office, File Maker Pro
-PARIS Hats and Veils, Inc.
May 2011-Present. Cincinnati, OH.
-Veil artist in a bridal accessories design studio, assisting the designer in the engineering of new veils and sewing production veils for clients such as BHLDN, famous personalities, and notable bridal boutiques
-Cincinnati Art Museum, Fashion Arts/Textiles Department
February 2011 to Present. Cincinnati, OH.
• Assist fashion department curator in research pertinent to current projects and exhibition planning
• Handle, document, clean, and repair garments, accessories and textiles for exhibition and archival storage
• Maintain well-functioning work and storage space, including making specific hangers, bags, and boxes for collection
• Work interdepartmentally with museum staff from various areas, such as registrar, photography, and conservation
-Freelance design, illustration, custom sewing, alterations
July 2010 to Present. Cincinnati, OH.
• Custom design and sewing projects such as black wool hooded cloak, fabric door, couch, chair, and ottoman covers, veil restoration and alteration
• Illustration project -- Macy’s Music Festival 2011, concept/illustrated collection -- Free People Wovens Spring 2011
• Jewelry and accessories made of found objects, vintage items, recycled hardware, crystals, stones, minerals, plants
• Alterations of garments for clients, create and lend custom garments and accessories for photo shoots
December 2009 to Present. Cincinnati, OH.
Part-time co-op position, consignment sales, instructor.
• Work independently and in collaboration with other artists on-site to design and construct clothing and accessories
• Experimental weaving, knitting, and dyeing of yarn and fabric to support senior thesis studies and create sellable
goods for the boutique
• Gain innovative, entrepreneurial experience, manage retail and branding aspects of the shop, create visual displays, photograph merchandise, organize and conduct in-store and online sales, assist in the development and construction of clothing line for Spring/Summer 2010, shown at Cincinnati Fashion Week
• Perform alterations for men’s and women’s clothing, construct high quality, made-to-fit clothing for customers
• Engage in and support local, sustainable design and hand-made arts and crafts
• Principal instructor of sewing and design lessons in the Vorkurs Workshop Series at Brush Factory studio location
July 2009 to September 2009. Florence, Italy.
• Asset to designer by providing knowledge of craft, design aesthetics, and creative use of existing materials
• Independently drafted patterns and constructed garments that were sold in the combined studio and retail space
• Designed and created custom-fit garments upon personal request from clientele
• Utilized knowledge of Italian language to effectively communicate with designer and customers
• Employed effective time management and business skills to assist designer in meeting project deadlines
• Gained entrepreneurial skills and knowledge of the fashion industry in Europe
June 2008 to Present. San Francisco, CA/Cincinnati, OH
Two full-time co-op positions, free lance, and part-time positions. June 2008 to Present.
• Utilized patternmaking and draping skills to develop sample garments; assisted designer in fit sessions
• Engaged in production planning and control, anticipated sewing needs and organized trims for garment production,
line development, garment quality control, measured garment prototypes to create specification packages
• Performed zipper inventory, trim costing, and processed customer returns in garment factory
• Independently expedited garments from factory to distribution center, input customers’ orders into interactive
database and notified distribution center to orchestrate shipments
• Documented use and promoted functionality of specific garments while traveling in Europe during summer 2009
• Conducted inventory analysis in warehouse, assisted in packing and shipping orders to customers
-Isle of Skye Cashmere
January 2008 to May 2008. Cincinnati, OH.
Full-time and part-time co-op positions.
• Supported business owners administratively through in-store and online retail management of fine Scottish
and Italian-made cashmere sweaters, high quality ready-to-wear clothing, and custom-fit garments
• Co-created spring and fall 2008 sweater collections; chose colorways, silhouettes, details, trims
• Delivered excellent customer service; successfully assisted customers with purchases, repairs, and alterations
June 2007 to September 2007. New York, NY.
Full time co-op position.
• Assisted designers in Women’s Knit/Fleece and Women’s Woven Tops, Bottoms, and Denim design teams
• Organized and pitched colorways for CAD files, created tech packs and fabric development files
• Assembled presentation boards, attended meetings for trend analysis, fabric prints, line assortment, and fit sessions
• Sketched flats/designed stripe layouts in Illustrator that were chosen for production
ACTIVITIES AND HONORS
• Received the Jenny Carroll Award for Design Creativity --- senior thesis design collection
• Attained Global Studies Certificate from UC Honors Scholars Program upon graduation in 2010
• Awarded grant from UC Honors Scholars Program to complete an Honors Experience in summer 2009,
including traveling to Iceland, France, Belgium, Germany, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Sweden, and Italy
• Traveled as a student ambassador to Malta, Italy, Monaco, and France in 2004 to meet with local citizens,
promoting peace and understanding through cultural awareness
• Recipient of UC International Grant for the fashion department study tours
“Entrepreneurial Montreal” in 2007 and “Contemporary Paris” in 2008
• Created garments showcased in St. Vincent dePaul “Retro Fittings” Fashion Show,
Union Terminal’s 75th Anniversary “Project Vintage Fashion Show” and “Cincy Runway” show,
and annual submission of garments in the DAAPWorks Fashion Show 2007-2010
• Campus student organizations: Students for Study Abroad --- President, Cultural Connections,
Fashion Design Student Association, UC Women’s Chorus
• Georgetown Jr./Sr. High School, Valedictorian. Participated in College Preparatory and
Advanced Placement courses, 2001-2005
University of Cincinnati
•Global Studies Certificate from UC Honors Scholars Program upon graduation in 2010
•Grant from UC Honors Scholars Program to complete an Honors Experience in summer 2009