• Commands a deep understanding of project scope and design process to better develop compelling solutions.
• Possesses passion for design, storytelling and problem solving.
• Has a strong foundation in manufacturing methods.
• Outstanding form ideation and development.
• Experience managing design development process across several different departments.
• Flexible skill set geared to both conceptual and executable design directions.
• Ability to multitask and manage several active projects at one time.
• Experienced in the planning and execution of end-user research in coordination with internal and external marketing.
• Has worked overseas and has dealt directly with factories and suppliers.
Cole Ranze | industrial designer
Address: No.100 Gan Xi Road, building No.34 Room 602, Changning District
Shanghai 200335, PRC
Phone: (86) 150 2167 2870
|| Employment ||
• ToyMonster Ltd. • 2008 - present Shanghai, PRC
Creative Director Oct. 2010 - present
‣ Oversees all aspects of product design, from initial research and concept through graphic design, engineering and packaging design.
‣ Extensive knowledge of the design process and design related software allows for a very hands on managerial approach, which emphasizes “show not tell” as both a teaching and communication tool.
‣ Manage and coordinate projects among ten subordinates in three different departments; Product Design, Engineering and Graphic Design.
‣ Collaborated with marketing department to optimize the company’s product lines by consolidating brands. Developed an identity for this newly created brand, including package design and web content.
‣ Oversaw the development of two new company websites which launched earlier this year.
‣ Work closely with Sales and Marketing departments to ensure all marketing, PR and promotional material is created in accordance with the company brand.
Industrial Designer July 2008 - Oct. 2010
‣ Primary role was the development of new and innovative “active toys”, including scooters, tricycles, foot to floor ride-ons and play houses.
‣ Worked directly with licensees to develop a wide range of licensed products. Licenses include Star Wars, numerous Disney properties, Lego, Dora the Explorer and Ben 10: Alien Force.
‣ Worked alongside engineering department and factory sourcing department to ensure designs satisfy the end user in terms of usability and play value, while always keeping manufacturing and cost effectiveness in mind.
‣ Developed a greater, more flexible skill set which, while primarily focused on industrial design, includes packaging design, graphic design, illustration and Flash based web content development.
• Primitive Art Restoration • 11/2007 - 07/2008 Abramsville, PA
‣ Designed and fabricated museum quality metal and wooden stands used to display artwork and collectibles.
‣ Assisted in the restoration of damaged or aging pieces of art, primarily wooden African masks and statues.
• Campbell Ironworks • 08/2007 - 07/2008 Callicoon, NY
‣ Fabricated custom made luxury iron furniture. Developed skills including machining, forging, welding and finishing.
|| Education ||
• Rochester Institute of Technology •
BFA, Industrial Design
‣ Minor in Literary and Cultural Studies
2002 – 2007
|| Computer Skills ||
Proficient in: SolidWorks, Alias, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat, Flash (animation), Sketchbook Pro, SketchUp, ArtRage
Familiar with: Maya, Zbrush, Rhino, AfterEffects, Moi
|| Awards & Honors ||
•IDSA Student Merit Awards nominee;
‣ One of five senior ID students nominated from RIT,
which went on to take top honors in the Northeast
regional competition for what was then the third time
in the award’s four year history.
•RIT Merit Scholarship recipient
•RIT Presidential Scholarship recipient
•Dean’s List (Fall 02, Spring 05, Fall 06, Winter 06)
|| Juried Exhibitions & Publications ||
•Electronic Gaming Monthly, Issue 230 (July 2008)
•OX CIAS Senior Show. (2007)
•Visual Studies Workshop Gallery, Rochester, NY
•Surreal Landscapes Exhibition. (2006)
•Gallery R, Rochester, NY
•NGC Magazine, Issue 116 (March 2006)