- + Follow
Creative Design Director with a success in hands-on conceptualizing, managing and creating retail packaging-branding-marketing campaigns across a variety of mediums. Manage all aspects of pre-press for print with a concentration in packaging including coordination of internal and external communications, apply technical knowledge of all print processes to maximize the brand across substrates, understand printer specifications, maintain accuracy and tight timelines while driving project success.
Specialties: Working with in-house creative and agency environments. Manage designers and hands-on work in many design facets, including brand management and corporate identity and within various business arenas such as: package design, consumer goods, e-learning, printing, marketing, manufacturing/engineering and retail.
CPG Package Design
POP - POS - Trade Show
Schaaf Creative Designs, Inc., Plano, TX
Founder - Chief Creative Officer 2005 - present
Directing and conceptualizing brand identity development and strategies across multi-channels. Present the creative and strategy design to retail clients, such as Pizza Hut/YUM; Int'l, Frito-Lay, PepsiCo, Atmos Energy, Brinker Int'l (Chili's, Maggiano's), Max Brenner Chocolates, Sales Benchmark Index, Trinity Rail, Inc., Border Foods, Inc., Remington Health Products, LLC/Drinkables, Ansell Limited Gloves, Inc. and other retail markets.
Dallas Independent School District - Dallas, TX
Art Director 2008 - 2011
Responsible for the direction and design of all creative art concepts, graphic illustrations, layout and design production for the DISD school district. This included over 200 campuses and approx. 5000 teachers and students combined. Supervised the production of electronic files and mechanicals for film output to our color separators and printers.
ICON Health & Fitness, Inc., Dallas, TX
FMCG Design Director 1999 - 2005
Led the creative and managed the international CPG identity and multi-channel brand development for the world class brands of WEIDER, Club WEIDER, REEBOK, NordicTrack, Gold’s Gym, IMAGE\\WESLO spas, JumpKing Trampolines and Proform for retail clients such as Sears, Wal-Mart, Target, Dick's Sporting Goods, Gold’s Gym and various others.
- Managed objectives and expectations of package design branding with hands-on creative development through design firms at photo shoots and illustration execution.
- Worked with brand managers, industrial designers, engineers, design firms, separators and printers to develop cutting-edge, innovative packaging that increased sales and met category business objectives.
- Assisted the General Manager, Vice President of Sales and retail contacts
with brand strategy on large design initiatives. Maintained the development of brand identity equities to ensure the brand’s personality remained consistent across each requisite channel.
- Managed and directed creative and projects through complicated and intensive processes with domestic and Asian vendors.
FASTSIGNS, Inc., Cleveland, OH
Senior Art Director 1998 - 1999
As Senior Art Director my job responsibilities were to direct and produce a wide variety of signage and exhibit graphics on the IBM PC/MacOS platforms. Managed a sign design production staff in the conception and completion of effective signage for local and national accounts. Managed all deadlines and workloads associated with each design project.
- Created all corporate signage for CompUSA at the 1999 Citrus Bowl in Tampa, FL.
- Responsible for the design and coordination of the event signage at the Northeast Ohio American Cancer Society Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.
Walter J. Greene & Company, Cleveland, OH
Senior Art Director 1992 - 1998
Designed and directed a team of designers, production coordinators, freelance talent and printers in the creation and development of cutting edge, strategically sound concepts for internationally recognized companies in their new retail CPG packaging lines and printing efforts.
- Designed and directed the international retail redesign project for Lean Cuisine and Stouffer’s Red Box Packaging Division of Nestlé Frozen Food Group. This final concept encompassed over 280 SKUs and was taken to a world-wide market launch within a very strict production schedule.
- Developed new retail packaging lines for the divisions of General Electric, USA and International; Universal Remote; Wilton Foods; TCI Communications; Glidden-Zynolyte Paints and others utilizing the
- Responsible for upgrading and installing a linked network of computer
workstations between Walter J. Greene & Company (Cleveland), Nestlé, USA
(Cleveland), Schawk! Inc. (Chicago) and Landor (NYC).
D.I.S.C. (Data Imaging Services Company), Cleveland, OH
The Emerson Press Companies
Art Director 1989 - 1992
Led and designed with a team of computer artists and print production personnel in generating an assortment of designs for print. Designed and created catalogs, advertisements, brochures, annual reports, newsletters, direct mail, corporate identity, logo design, P.O.P and posters for such clients as National City Bank, Ohio Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Sherwin/Williams Paint, Smythe-Cramer Realtors and Jones, Day Inc.
I had overall project coordination, including budget and schedule development, client presentations, photo shoot direction, production meetings and press checks.
- Directly involved in the incorporation of the color electronic prepress system with the Scitex Prisma workstation over a Gateway Network. This allowed the computers to link directly to the plate making software of Emerson Press.
Madison Avenue West, Westlake, OH
Art Director 1988 - 1989
Responsible for the art concepts, graphic illustrations, layout and design production of thumbnail and electronic comps for national clients. Supervised the production of electronic comps and mechanicals for film output to our color separators and printers.
- Designed and directed the 1989 new product catalogs for Moen Faucet International and Basic Concept Lighting.
- Developed artwork and ad campaigns for a multitude of national clients to include: Moen Faucet International, Manco, USA, Dixon Ticonderoga/Crayola and DFT/Basic Concept Lighting.
SAIC, McLean, VA
Art Director 1986 - 1988
Involved in the design and production of artwork for the Corporate Publications Group using various Mac platforms and software, as well as traditional methods of art development for government clients such as: DoD, NAVSEA, all branches of the Pentagon and Defense. Obtained a Top Secret w/poly clearance for work on class sensitive materials.
Art directed and design of the winged keel manual for Dennis Connor's Stars & Stripes for the 1987 America's Cup yacht race.
Edinboro University of Pennsylvania
- BFA Communication Graphics
- 1978 - 1982