- + Follow
Diane is a leading international surface designer. She has successfully designed and worked with manufacturers for over 18 years. Drawing inspiration from travel, nature and folk arts, her work ranges from sophisticated and serious to whimsical and colorful. Diane’s licensed designs appear on apparel, wallpaper, bedding, fabric, stationery and scrap-booking products. Placing a premium on collaboration, she is always excited to work with new clients across a range of product categories helping them reach their design vision.
• Creating original artwork and colorways for surface design.
• From concept to production, efficiently turning an idea into reality.
• Working directly with manufacturers to prepare designs for production of textiles and paper products.
• Highly proficient in Adobe Creative Suite CS6.
• Ned Graphics CAD Software: Printing Studio, Fashion Studio. Certified trainer. 15+ years of experience.
• Classically trained artist: hand sketching and painting.
Surface Designer / Owner
- Diane Kappa Designs
- Jun 2004 - Present (9 years 6 months)
• Licensing artist for multiple product categories ranging from fabrics, stationery, wall coverings and more.
• David Textiles
• GCD Studio
• Look Love Send
• Madison Park Group - Ipop
• Collaboration with clients from concept to production.
• Original design development (surface design and graphic design) as well as preparing production-ready files for manufacturing.
• Work directly with the manufacturer to approve samples, conduct quality control and expedite production.
• Catherine's Cottages
• Europe 2 you
• Head Up Design
• Once Upon a Tutu
• Sin in Linen
• Romelli Design
GROUP FOUR DESIGN STUDIO
• Create original artwork primarily for textiles (apparel and home furnishings) and paper products.
Senior Textile Designer
- Jul 1999 - Jul 2008 (9 years)
• Forecast and create original textile designs for customers across multiple Nordstrom brands and translate seasonal trends for each brands’ identity
• Manage CAD Studio: training, evaluation, implementation and testing CAD (computer assisted design) software. Direct workflow and accuracy of Textile Designers
• Advise management on multiple projects such as writing job descriptions and building career path for Nordstrom Textile Designers
• Created “Print Far”- a strategic revenue-producing and cost-savings business initiative; created 200 original pieces of artwork per year using existing design resources; brands adopted 95% of artwork
- Seattle Central Community College
- Jan 2001 - Jun 2001 (5 months)
• Instructed Design-a-Line and Portfolio Design
- Art Institute of Seattle
- Mar 2000 - Jun 2000 (3 months)
• Instructed Portfolio Design
- Nordstrom Product Group
- Apr 1997 - Jul 1999 (2 years 3 months)
• Designed original art for screens, appliqués, patches, prints and plaids
• Coordinated artwork with international manufacturers; improved print execution and strike off approval
• Developed concept boards and presented to buyers; increased collection orders and retail sales
- Derek Andrew
- Oct 1996 - Mar 1997 (5 months)
• Assisted Product Manager with design of Men’s and Women’s clothing line
• Responsible for all design aspects including, illustrations, color approvals, specifications, fittings and creation of wholesale catalogue for buyer presentation
• Coordinated international/domestic manufacturing
- Lane Bryant
- Sep 1995 - Sep 1996 (1 year)
• Designed prints for full-figure women’s line
• Collaborated with design team to develop a cohesive collection
• Improved efficiency in lead times by creating systems such as product tracking and electronic file transfer to international manufacturers
• Successfully secured 80,000 USD for additional CAD system
University of Cincinnati, College of Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning (DAAP)
- BS, Fashion Design
- 1990 - 1995