- + Follow
David W Pelsue
Industrial Designer: Film/TV/Footwear; Art Direction; SFX
I’m an artist that’s penned a lot of footwear, consumer products, and visualized alien and future earth bound worlds for entertainment alone and as part of a team. Challenge me with the best you’ve got and my results won’t disappoint you. Quick, thoughtful, and build-able solutions are what I’m passionate about. I’m equally comfortable with design and development. Both require adaptation and compromise to achieve a successful conclusion. Experienced with textiles, textile manufacturing, polymers, leathers, technical materials, molds, mold making, pattern making, injection molding, construction methods, bonding, composites, tool and die, grading and fabrication methods. Testing protocols as well. Adobe Creative Suite, Word, Excel, and Solid Works
Specialties: Art Direction, Design Direction, Team Building, Materials, Processes, Branding, Product Development, Digital and Old School Model Making, Animation, Voice Over ... I have a highly versatile personality and play well with others.
Tolling Bell Films: Short film Dark Times
April 2010 – June 2010 Feature film Mendocino Trespass May 2011- Present
Assoc. Producer, Storyboard Artist, Makeup and Creature Concepts, Preproduction Design, and Actor
Music Video Soto Ban w/ Elisa Chacon April 2011 - Present
SFX Makeup: monster costume suit construction and Actor
Humaniod Wakeboards May 2011 – Present
Design and Engineering of new proprietary products
The Shue Company April 2011 – Present
Design and Engineering support for a line of women’s high fashion and casual footwear
Technical/Graphic Design for Sales/Marketing- Temp Employee
January 2010 – May 2010
Designed and created detailed exploded Views of all skateboarding brands men’s footwear product that launched with their June Sales Meeting. These tools allowed both groups to easily explain the technical features and dynamic technologies employed across the product price points.
Sr. Technical Designer Advanced Concepts: Footwear
May 2001 – Sept 2009
Chief responsibilities included design and development of all cushioning and supportive technologies. These included their new G2, G2P, G2GP, and G3 Gel, for both Heel and Forefoot applications. Patents were awarded for several of these. Working closely with the Action Sports Industry's first bio mechanics lab (STI) and a seasoned Tech Developer, I've played a key role implementing a number of technology as well as (Green) improvements for the Outsole, Midsole, and Upper. Some of these would be converting from blown rubber to PU for Vulc. Replacing die-cut EVA with Injected EVA inserts which not only reduced cost but eliminated waste, Completely revising the internal Cupsole constructions to reduce weight and cost, Introduced a low cost Direct Attach construction, and several variations of Cement Free construction methods.
My duties included:
• Bring Shoe technology ideas from concept drawings to production reality
• Assist Designers with new technical initiatives and Component Constraints
• Travel to Factories to work on Advanced Technologies
• Assist Designers and Developers with manufacturing, material, construction, and tooling questions
• Review Spec Sheets and create Preliminary Control Drawings for proto and inline projects
• Research new materials and manufacturing processes
• Manage multiple seasons of tech development in various stages of development
• Worked 2-5 years out on new tech ideas to bring to future in-line development.
Remained flexible to special requests and work with factories to keep realistic sample lead times for maximum long-term success
This past Sept 08. One of my latest technologies received an award for best new technology from Complex magazine at ASR where it beat out all the industry competition. (Patent pending)
In addition to my regular duties I contributed inline footwear designs all genders, technical illustrations, renderings, for catalog & POP. I also provided monthly project updates and new process presentations twice a year to the design and development staff. A monthly update on all current project progress was supplied to management. I would also hold classes for the junior design and development staff to cover patterns, lasts, mould making, blue prints, and rendering/sketching techniques.
I'm proficient with Illustrator, Photoshop, Excel, Word, and Solid Works.
Sr. Designer: Footwear
ACI Int. Jan. 2000 – May 2001: Shaq game and post play footwear, Steve Madden, LEI, OP, LA Gear, Pony, Lucky, Mattel, Scooby Doo, and Harry Potter
Freelance Designer / Consultant April 99 – Aug 2002
• Independent film: Backlash Blues: Preproduction design and storyboards
• Avia, Turntec, Nevados, & A. D. One: Concept sketches through to sales samples. Bottom design: included preliminary B/P to approving the finished coppers and/or moulds. Created and assisted with the development of new processes and technologies.
• Carpenter Studios: Assisted in the design and development of the principal characters and backgrounds for two feature animated projects.
• Centaur Enterprises: Detailed orthographic drawings to scale to assist sculptors. Electronic packaging layout and design for various prototype toy projects.
• Insomnia Creations, Inc.: Created finished art from rough initial client provided input or would undertake the entire design and development process for marketing and advertising campaigns and surveys. Paintings for the Purple Heart Museum Foundation's promotional posters
• Purdom Footwear Design: Assisted in making moulds of basketball athlete Shaq's feet for new last development. 1:1 bottom unit models for their clients Teva, Sketchers, DUNK, World Blend, and Zoogles tm. Concept development sketches and new construction methods for Zoogles tm, a unique new children's footwear product. Design and initial engineering of modifications to Pinzgauer Military Vehicles, and Suzuki x90s for Red Bull's promotional 'party trucks' and product sampling vehicles.
ASG-Avia: Advanced Concepts Director
Jan. 97- April 99
Converse Inc: Sr. Designer - Strategic Product Group
June 96 – Dec. 97
Rockport Company: Designer-Developer: Men's/Women's Performance Outdoor
June 95 – June 96
L. A. Gear: Design Director: Boys, Advanced Concepts
1991 – 1995
• Film and television production: Universal Pictures Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, and Childhood's End: Preproduction design and storyboards. Alan Landsberg productions of ‘In Search Of’ with Leonard Nimoy: Storyboards, model maker, miniatures, and HBO: Likely Stories: Preproduction design, computer EFX, miniatures, model wrangler, and Orion Pictures: Interworlds: Art director, preproduction design of all principal characters/vehicles.
• Sr. Technical illustrator for Rockwell International: North American Aircraft Division. 1988- 1991 Primarily responsible for flight/damage repair manual artwork for several top secret military aircraft projects. Computer and manually created illustrations.
• Graphic designer for Nissan Motor Corp. 1981 - 1988 This included: technical illustration, photography, brochures, racing posters, video production, and automotive accessories design/development.
• Toy design for Mattel, Airfix, Revell Inc, Universal, Disney, and Applause.
• Model maker for 1/86 scale miniature of Tokyo in 2010 for Lucas Film & Japanese petro-chemical museum. plex, wood, metal, & PU foam were primary materials. Supervised three painters and set up the paint shop.
• I've also restored/modified many personal and friend's vehicles. These have included several early Mustangs, Shelbys, 356, 911, and 914 Porsches, Datsun 510s, 43 WW 2 Kubelwagen, SdKfz 222 Armored car, US army M-3 Light Tank; my 944 cab is next!
• Also enjoy creating static / practical props and costumes for film and TV. I’ve also acted on several SHOOT OUT WW2 Docu dramas. Also took part in the new film Andrew Jackson where I played both a British officer and infantryman for the Battle of New Orleans all for the History Channel.
Long Beach State: Wavefront, Concept 3D, Materials and Processes, Rapid Prototyping, Pro E
References furnished upon request and any other supportive documentation.