Design/layout/create magazines, brochures, booth graphics, logos, business cards, postcards, newsletters & more! In publishing, I developed strong managerial skills that proved to be fundamental when working under the tightest of deadlines. Improved workflow, increased productivity & tightened budgets. Worked closely with advertisers/printers to implement soft proofing, FTP sites & direct-to-plate techniques. Working for a printer, I gained hands-on experience as well.
6742 Brooks Lane, Chicago Ridge, IL 60415
708.346.6191 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Streamline workflow and improve processes so that all input requirements meet all output expectations while being artistic and creative. Lead and motivate a staff while keeping track of schedules, materials, deadlines and budgets.
Belmonte Graphics | Chicago Ridge, IL | 2008-current
Freelance Graphic Designer
- Listen to the needs of the client (whether that be an agency, individual or company), bear in mind their objectives and deliver a final product.
- Meet extreme deadlines, work well under pressure.
- Design/layout/create magazines, brochures, booth graphics, logos, business cards, postcards and newsletters.
Associated Equipment Distributors | Oak brook, IL | 2010-current
Freelance Graphic Designer
- Layout and assemble monthly publication entitled Construction Equipment Distribution.
- Design/layout/create manuals, ads, postcards, media kits, publication and booklet covers, and directories.
Reilly Communications Group | Schaumburg, IL | 2000-2008
Production Director | 2004-2008
- Manage, motivate and lead a staff of three.
- Streamline processes and revise workflows with editorial and marketing departments to improve efficiency and minimize down time.
- Build and maintain a "digital bridge" for company departments to work simultaneously with each other over a network.
- Implement an "all digital" PDF workflow as well as computer-to-plate and soft proofing. Saving time, paper and added expenses in excess of over $60K in the first year.
- Layout, create and revamp editorial for extended partners including: GE, Siemens, Philips, and Sony. This includes reprints, gatefolds, wall charts, bellybands, cover tips and laminates. Generating $40K quarterly.
- Cross-functional design with marketing to produce in-house print and digital/online campaigns from conceptual stage through completion.
- Budget department funds, schedule all printing/mailing dates as well as oversee all departmental scheduling and deadlines.
- Successfully produce trade show booths, media kits and supplements.
- Establish partnerships with freelance talent and printers as needed.
Production Manager | 2000-2004
- Size artwork, check digital photos, create and revise templates, and layout and design four publications incorporating articles, product releases, news, statistical or comparative data/charts, special features, stories and advertisements.
- Preflight/prepare/design ads and set up color proofs.
- Review, log and process insertion orders. Check reports against production logs. Create issue masters, print orders and impositions.
- Communicate efficiently with advertisers/agencies when ad material problems are encountered and/or when technical assistance is needed.
The Cambridge Press | Franklin Park, IL | 1996-2000
- Design/layout/create logos, postcards, newsletters and brochures.
- Preflight jobs and set up and assemble for press; schedule and perform client press checks.
- Perform color correction and photo retouching.
- Typesetting, bindery and clerical tasks.
- Collaborate with various clients including: Kraft Foods, Northwestern University, LaSalle Bank, Kahn Reality and United Airlines.
- Customized the design and illustration of a children's book.
Normal Edition's Workshop (N.E.W.) | Normal, IL | 1995-1996
- Assisted in nine world renown artist-printer collaborations.
- Hand mixed ink, grained/leveled stones, tore paper for the edition of limited Fine Art Prints and assisted in all levels of the printing process.
- Aided in the writing, design and format of the annual edition of the N.E.W. newsletter.
Illinois State University | Normal, IL | 1992-1996
BFA in Fine Arts
Major: Lithography Minor: Graphic Design
- Dean's List: 1995, 1996
- Created Monotypes selected for: Student Annual Exhibition - 1995, Undergraduate Research Symposium - 1995
- Selected as the only student out of four lithography classes to work in the N.E.W.
- Macintosh and PC
- Partnered with a consultant to develop and enhance productivity by creating a "digital bridge". A platform where several departments can work on projects simultaneously across a network.
- Teamed with technical liaison on budgetary software and billing.
- Quark Xpress
- Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, ImageReady
- Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Interactive Designer