- + Follow
Design Leader & Fine Arts Professional
New York, NY
New York, NY
I am an executive experienced in leading design, innovation strategy, new-to-world products/services, and revitalizing businesses with cross industry experience in consumer goods, luxury, technology, retail, higher education, and fine arts . As well as managing projects and teams, I am a hands on designer and fine artist specializing in brand development, photography, typography, visual arts, UX design, product design, packaging, and environmental design. With 31 design, utility, and technology patents, these inventions span a broad array of goods and services.
ELLEN TAVE GLASSMAN
160 West Street
Closter, NJ 07624
Cell: (201) 663-0719
Creative Executive experienced in leading design, innovation strategy, new-to-world products/services, and revitalizing businesses. Successful track record in building global world-class brands, forming/coaching high-performance design teams, and establishing effective creative processes. Cross industry experience in electronics, luxury and consumer goods, retail, higher eduction and fine arts. Proven results and unique skill set synthesizing trend forecasting, styling, and research to create engaging products, packaging, and experiences that reward business with profit growth, share gains, and delighted customers.
• User Experience/ Web Design
• Consumer Product Design
• Luxury Goods Design
• Interiors/Store Visual/Exhibits
• Graphic Design/ Packaging
• Logo/Visual Identity
• Naming/Copy Writing
• Advertising: TV/Print/Online
• Marketing Communications
• Social Media
• Higher Education
• Intellectual Property
Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, RI, Bachelor of Fine Arts, Graphic Design
Brown University, Providence, RI, BFA Coursework, Spanish and Art History
MIT SLOAN SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT, Cambridge, MA May 2013 – present
Director, Visual Design
FASHION INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, New York City January 2013 – May 2013
Adjunct Professor, Entrepreneurship Studies for the Fashion & Design Industries
THE MUSEUM OF MODERN ART, New York City, NY & NJ June 2012 – December 2012
Freelance creative director working with MoMA on visual merchandising, store interior upgrades, and product design to drive business growth. Design consultant for consumer and luxury brands.
SEARS HOLDINGS, INC., New York City, NY & Hoffman Estates, IL 2007 – June 2012
Divisional Vice President, Design Hardlines
Directed design for the company’s “Crown Jewels” Kenmore and Craftsman representing nearly $6 billion in sales and each the share or brand leader in their respective businesses. Management of 8 internal designers and 50+ affiliate designers.
• $300 million in sales increases, moved brand from 3rd to 1st market share leader. Grew top ratings in Consumer Reports and numerous patents.
• Launched over 550 major and small appliances launched with fresh, modern product styling, advanced UX, vibrant identity: new Kenmore logo, packaging, marketing communications, website, and displays.
• Attained 3 CES Innovations Awards including top honor “Best of Show” and IDSA special recognition, results from the Kenmore design transformation.
• Initiated and directed the design vision playbook for Kenmore connectivity software on wireless devices: smart phones, tablets, PCs in remote control, diagnostics, energy management, social, and “infotainment” applications to target the $15 billion smart appliance/smart home industry.
• Surpassed Craftsman brand’s 2011 fiscal profit target with leadership of design/process improvements. Codified an over arching design philosophy in a style guide derived from in-depth ethnographic research.
• Added $60 million in annual incremental revenue with the Craftsman Evolv ergonomic collection.
• Elevated the brand asset ratings with the modernized logos, 3 new packaging identity systems, and 3 visual style guides for 9,400 SKUs. Reduced production costs by $1+ million.
MOVADO, INC., Paramus, NJ 2005 – 2007
Vice President Design, Movado Boutiques
Led the luxury brand’s product design: jewelry, gifts, tabletop, store visual, and marketing/online communications. Managed the budgets for design and marketing. Directed internal staff, freelance designers, and creative agencies.
• Drove double-digit growth in key products for 31 retail stores. Designed patented $1+million bestsellers.
• Orchestrated brand synergy of product design, store visual, seasonal displays, catalogs, ads, and website.
• Led annual newness of 500+ items in jewelry, clocks, watches, tabletop, accessories and leather goods.
• Taught Movado-sponsored design course at Parsons: The New School for Design.
SONY ELECTRONICS, New York City, NY & Park Ridge, NJ 1988 – 2005
General Manager, Brand Design and Strategy (2003-2005)
Served as the chief visual strategy officer reporting to the CMO. Directed creative for TV, online, and print campaigns. Principal spokesperson on design and innovation.
• Spearheaded highly successful US and global brand strategy for Sony marketing communications, including the brand message used on all worldwide TV advertising.
• Initiated a comprehensive brand audit. Saved the company $3+ million and strengthened the brand with an advertising style guide unifying visual and messaging for TV, print, and online.
• Designated the liaison to Sony Music, Sony Pictures, and PlayStation for major corporate initiatives.
Director, Sony Design Center (1988-2003)
Leader of a large, talented 20+member multidisciplinary design team: product, graphic, interactive directing 300+ design projects per year in branding, product design, packaging, interactive, environments.
• $600+ million in portable and home electronics sales resulted from the sub brands developed from scratch including the Sony Liv design collection twice earning Target Stores Innovation of the Year Award.
• Received YWCA’s Tribute to Women & Industry Award and Corporate Asset Award, Sony Talent Council.
• Selected by US Electronics President to lead Project Desire, the future vision of Sony post 2010, generating valuable patents. Presented to the Chairman and Board of Directors in Tokyo with a standing ovation response.
• Pioneered Sony’s online presence. Directed design for Sony.com, dozens of retail, promotional,
and entertainment websites. Developed startups including Image Station digital photography service.
• Guided visual identity and interiors for Sony Style stores and international luxury brand boutiques.
PRIOR PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
COUSINS DESIGN, New York City, NY
Graphic designer of packaging and product identity for GE, Gillette, Esselte and Honeywell.
THE MUSEUM OF MODERN ART, New York City, NY
Designer of exhibits and printed communications.
AFFILIATIONS, CERTIFICATIONS, & HONORS
American Institute of Graphic Arts & Industrial Design Society of America
Six Sigma Greenbelt
Industry Awards from IDSA, Target Stores, Consumer Electronics Show, YWCA
Lecturer, Blogger, and Design Judge
23+ Design ad Utility Patents
Author of essay published in "What is Your Life's Work" business book by Bill Jensen ?© 2005 Harper Collins
TV appearance on CNBC's "The Closing Bell" - Design & Technology for Women
Chronicled in Fast Company Design Masters
Quoted in The Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Financial Times, LA Times, etc.
Featured in Brand New Awards 2011 Design Annual, W magazine, Graphis, InStyle
Designs featured in "Digital Dreams: The Work of Sony Design Center" ©
Rhode Island School of Design