- + Follow
Senior Interaction Designer
Senior Interaction Designer and team manager with over 10 years experience in leading progressive interaction design projects for brands including Pepsi, NBC, Microsoft, New Balance, Gatorade, Jack Links, Harley Davidson, Burton Snowboards and Converse.
I thrive when tackling challenging UX design projects and feed off the energy that comes from working with other innovative and driven creatives.
I currently work at frog in the Seattle studio.
Gatorade Go All Day
User Experience Design
UX designer and team manager with over nine years of agency experience, seeking challenging role with responsibility for conceptualization and design of interesting and useful interactive experiences for an innovative progressive company.
Microsoft (contractor) :: Redmond, WA
Art Director :: 2011- Present
• Responsible for providing art direction, UX, IA, wireframes, interaction specs, sketches and mockups for Microsoft Digital Art.
• Synthesized qualatative usability study data into design requirements for product revisions.
• Directly managed team of two designers and acted as liaison to prototype development team
Fuse :: Burlington, VT
Digital Director :: 2009 - 2010
• Lead the digital department of a top 5 sports marketing agency.
• Drove the digital strategy and conception of interactive campaigns on all client accounts.
• Shaped the departmental services and philosophies in tandem with the agency partners.
• Orchestrated in-market strategies, content schedules, budget allocation and internal resources with four other department heads.
• Worked with client marketing budgets of up to $6MM
• Spearheaded technology trend research and vendor outreach efforts and effectively matched platforms to campaign goals,
• pitched and sold through concepts directly to clients.
• Directly managed a team of three designers and one developer.
• Extensive experience with new business pitches, market analysis, researching and documenting key market trends, demographic
• segmentation reports and analytics evaluations.
• Maintained full responsibility for ideation and direction of Gatorade action sports athlete microsites for "Go All Day" campaign.
• Websites: www.maltoskatesallday.com www.chazskatesallday.com www.nigelridesallday.com www.elleryridesallday.com
• Conceptualized, produced and art directed New Balance iPhone and Flash game for retail sales associates nationwide while
• overseeing development vendor.
• Coordinated online marketing programs for Jack Link's MATADOR line including brand website, social media and media buys.
Senior Interactive Designer :: 2007 - 2009
• Acted as digital department lead on program conceptualization, user experience, and digital strategy.
• Directly supervised three team members while coordinating with Art Director to ensure cohesion between design, user
• experience and functional specifications of digital projects.
• Led client communication of digital brand position and strategies in order to maximize effectiveness of all of online initiatives.
• Lead Flash designer and developer on multiple websites for Converse including www.converseskateboarding.com.
• Designed, produced and ran point on graphics and content for the official website for NBC Sports' Dew Action Sports Tour.
• Supervised site updates on location during events while coordinating with multiple copywriters, designers and NBC's video team.
• Executed, directed and pitched work for numerous clients including Harley-Davidson, Zoo York, Indy Car and Yahoo!
Interactive Designer :: 2004 - 2007
• Designed and produced graphics and Flash animations for NBC Winter Olympics Torino 2006 microsite.
• Created website graphics banner ads and Newsletter layouts for Right Guard Xtreme, Mountain Dew AmForce and Fox Racing.
• Designed and produced collateral materials including vehicle wraps, tents, sweatshirts and posters for Eastern Mountain Sports.
• Educated staff on best practices for web including copy writing, structuring content and search engine optimization.
EKS Design :: Burlington, VT
Freelance Strategy & Design :: 2003 - 2010
• Digital consulting, web design, front end development, Flash design and actionscripting, banner ads and logo identity work.
• Clients included Burton Snowboards, Subaru Rally Team, Elite Modeling Agency, The Cam Neely House and Interstate Batteries.
Instrument Marketing :: Burlington, VT
Interactive Designer & Project Manager :: 2003 - 2004
• Responsible for interactive design, Flash development, information architecture, HTML builds and SEO.
• Assumed lead on communication with outside developer to integrate server side scripting with front end Flash development.
• Managed Google AdWords accounts for multiple clients.
Arnold Euro RSCG :: Boston, MA
Production Artist, Intern :: 2002 - 2003
• Created page layouts and graphics for Flash Forward winning Mini Cooper USA site.
• Produced web page comps and graphics for Verizon and Campbells Foods brand sites.
Software & Languages
Adobe Flash, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, Bridge, iWork and MS Office
Fluent in: Actionscript 2, HTML & CSS
Proficiency in: Actionscript 3, XML
Comprehension of: PHP, mySQL, jQuery, AJAX, Java, Perl
Emerson College :: Boston, MA
M.A. Visual Media Arts :: 2003
• Masters Thesis Project - interior design prototype application to mock up room layouts within user uploaded photos.
• Emerson media center lab technician volunteer.
University of Vermont :: Burlington, VT
B.A. Art History :: 1998
• Dean's Honor List
• Art history & architectural studies abroad in Sydney, Australia
Arizona State University :: Tempe, AZ
Architectural Studies :: 1995
• Dean's High Honor List
• Outstanding Out-Of-State Academic Scholarship
• Continuing education courses in Graphic Design, PHP & Perl and Flash Actionscript 2 and 3 at the School Of Visual Arts in NYC.
• Vermont Flash Users Group member.
• Vermont Statehood Quarter Design - Winning entry (from over 800 contestants).
• Original collage art selected in juried shows, for commissions and personal enjoyment.
Ewen K. Syme | firstname.lastname@example.org | 802.734.6227 | 604 W Kinnear Pl #1 Seattle, WA 98119
Cool Hunting Site of the Day (NBC Olympics microsite 2006)