- + Follow
Freelance Luggage, Bags and Accessory Designer
London, United Kingdom
I specialise in designing bags and accessories including handbags, man bags, luggage, changing bags, specialist tech bags and most accessories. I have extensive experience working with leathers and synthetics. I offer a full design service from concept to final product and can provide valueable sourcing information. With experience of over 8 years I possess the right skills to take your project to a commercial reality. Please don't hesitate to contact me to discuss you project further.
- Luggage, Bags and Accessories
- Nov 2010 - Present (3 years 1 month)
I am a freelance Luggage, Bag and Accessory designer working across both men's and women's areas. With over 8 years experience, good connections and a great ability to turn your projects in to a commercial reality. Please don't hesitate to contact me for further information.
As a freelancer I have worked with brands including:
Hidesign, Mothercare, John Lewis (via a third party), Mamas and Papas, The Bugatti Owners club, Haileybury school, Healthy Back Bag, Adolfo Dominguez (via a third party), J by Jasper Conran (via a third party), Radley.
- Radley and co limited
- Jul 2007 - Nov 2010 (3 years 4 months)
I reported directly to the Design director, I was solely responsible for Radley luggage (including baby bags and work bags) and Hidesign Men’s bags and accessories. I also helped design Tula and Radley SLG/gift ranges working closely with other members of the design team.
My key achievements whilst at Radley included the reduction of the average weight of Radley luggage down from 4-5kg to2-3kg by implementing my knowledge of luggage construction.
I have also been instrumental in ensuring that the Hidesign brand remained close to its traditional roots whilst ensuring the styling was kept up to date.
My role at Radley included:
- Helping with the creation of seasonal trend boards using research gathered from trend books, images from the internet and trend websites.
- Using these trend boards and items sourced on development trips (Paris, Japan and Hong Kong) to create initial concepts across the above product areas.
- Presenting initial ideas to the design director.
- Creation of spec sheets to send to the factories in the Far East.
- Setting the critical path for the season and ensuring samples arrive on time to meet with these deadlines.
- Travelling alone to the factories in both India and China to review samples, make amendments and negotiate prices.
- Ensuring that margins are met without sacrificing product quality.
- Presenting the product to the selection team comprising of the Radley senior management.
- Checking the final samples and ensuring they arrive on time to open the wholesale showrooms.
- Helping production to finalise product details for the master range summary.
- Creating product swing tickets detailing specific features and benefits.
- Helping sales to present the luggage ranges to major customers including John Lewis and House of Frazer.
I take an enormous amount of pleasure from seeing my projects through to production. I like to create my initial designs by thinking both commercially but also by keeping an open mind to blue sky ideas.
Head of Design
- Landor & Hawa International Ltd
- Oct 2004 - Jul 2007 (2 years 9 months)
Promoted to head of design in July 2006 looking after 3 other designers at Landor and Hawa international a large manufacturing/import company who supply many major retailers with luggage, sports/travel bags, handbags and travel accessories.
Where my duties included:
- Looking after the 3 other designers in the department, including the controlling the flow of work through the department and approving design work
- Creating initial ideas across all the product areas and seeing them through to production.
- Updating existing product lines.
- Requesting samples from the Far East and liaising with factories in the Far East.
- Designing in-store POS for Bags ETC stores
- Pattern and print designs for luggage ranges and handbags.
- Magazine adverts.
- Packaging (including swing tickets, picture boxes and picture cards).
- Customer presentations for the sales department.
- Setting up product photo shoots and taking high resolution photos.
One of my designs was award the innovation award at Mipel in spring 2006.
- Industrial Design Consultancy
- 1999 - 2004 (5 years)
Provided concepts and design support to the design team and made the tea.
University of the Arts London
- 2:1 Product Design
- 2001 - 2004
- 1995 - 2000