- + Follow
Fifteen years of experience in Canada, the United States and Mexico, with proven managerial, aesthetic, and writing abilities. A creative and assertive leader with excellent communication skills. Fully bilingual in English and Spanish, can read French. Published author on design topics. Member of the Association of Registered Graphic Designers of Ontario since 2005. I seek a long-term position in publishing. My ideal company shares my commitment for social responsibility.
Highscool Textbook Covers
Grade School Textbook covers
Books for children
- Proficient in Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, QuarkXPress, and Word. Working knowledge of most other relevant software packages.
- Assertive, goal-oriented project manager.
- Pre-flighting and colour management skills.
- Efficient and quick press checkups.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
- Strong repertoire of illustration styles.
- Deeply inquisitive, cultured, and with a continuously expansive knowledge base.
- Excellent cartography skills.
Freelancer, 1992-Present, Canada/USA/Mexico
- Conceive and design identity systems, web pages and illustrations throughout North America. Have done pro-bono design work for different non-profit organizations over the years, including TechSoup Canada, Pride Toronto, the Chiltern Mountain Club, the relief agency Mississippi Home Again, and the Southern New Hampshire HIV/AIDS Task Force.
Art Director (pro bono, shared position), 2009-Present, Toronto Pride, Canada
- Recruit and supervise designers, programmers and other vendors involved in the print and web components of the festival.
- Develop the organization’s brand.
- Produce all necessary printed materials for the festival including posters, flyers, print and web ads, recognition diplomas, etc.
Production Manager/Creative Director, QUMMA, 2008-2009, (300+ yearly titles), Mexico
- Managed an in-house staff of 25, as well as more than 50 freelancers.
- Worked together with the CEO to restructure the area and establish adequate workfows.
- Developed and implemented design, illustration and typographic guidelines for the three imprints the parent company owns.
Art Director, Fondo de Cultura Económica, 2007, (450+ yearly titles), Mexico
- Art directed all new children’s titles, and designed most of them.
- Worked effectively with staff to ensure accurate and consistent colour reproduction and compliance with ISO 9001-2000 regulations.
- During my tenure, once common on-press mishaps were eliminated.
Assistant Art Director, Yankee Magazine, 2001-2006 (Circulation: 400,000), USA
- Art-Directed and designed all layouts for Yankee’s Travel Guide, produced all necessary illustrations.
- Conceived and designed Yankee Magazine layouts.
- Designed collateral materials.
- Produced, wrote, designed and illustrated seasonal craft how-to features for the Web.
- Selected and assigned photo and illustrations.
- Styled food, home, and lifestyle photo shoots.
Art Director, Taste for Life Magazine, 1999-2001, (Circulation: 120,000), USA
- Supervised four designers.
- Exceeded budgetary goals, successfully managed press deadlines.
- Managed and conceived all visual aspects of a monthly book, newsletter, poster, and Web site.
- Circulation rose from 60,000 to 120,000 during my tenure.
Art Director, 1997-1998, Omni Net, México
- Supervised two designers.
- Translated all Spanish material into English for bilingual projects.
- Wrote and edited HTML code for web publishing.
- Responsible for updates of all company Web sites.
Illustrator, 1993-1994, QUMMA, Mexico
- Created up to ten daily illustrations for as many as three simultaneous projects.
- Selected to work solo on multiple projects.
- HOW Design Competition, Merit, 2000.
- Mexican Postal Administration, Merit, 1998.