Design Thinking Expert Trainer
Welcome to the New Era of IBM Design.
IBM is embarking on a major transformation. We are proud to have celebrated 100 years of providing unparalleled solutions to the greatest technical and social challenges faced around the world. Today, as the largest technology company on the planet, we are redefining ourselves for the next century. The newly created division IBM Design will lead the change.
One of the cornerstones of this shift is the new design studio in Austin, Texas, which will be one of the largest in the world and serve the center of design at IBM. This studio will establish IBM's design culture, serving as a studio for signature projects and the home of Designcamp, a world-class design academy and training program. IBM Design is looking for design leads to serve as designers, thought leaders, and instructors at the studio. These leaders must excel at the following responsibilities:
• Help develop a world-class Designcamp by structuring and developing programs that train designers in design thinking for an agile development environment and user research in a B2B environment.
• Act as design professors to deliver lectures and workshops, as well as facilitate initial project work throughout one-week and three-month training programs.
• Following training programs, act as design and account managers to mentor incoming designers for their first three months of project work.
• Mentor Designcamp alumni throughout their careers at the company.
• Support ongoing organizational development and the studio's relationships within the broader organization.
• Travel five percent for ongoing recruitment of design talent to build the practice.
• Relocate to Austin, Texas—a hub of technology, music, and design.
We are looking for one leader with 5-15 years of experience in each of the following four disciplines:
• User Experience Design
UX Designers will craft intuitive interactions and workflows informed by market and audience research - typically in the form of sketches called 'Wireframes'. Industrial designers with strong interaction design skills are welcome to apply.
• User Experience Research
UX Researchers will specialize in discovering, analyzing, and communicating user needs. They will use qualitative and quantitative user research to prioritize design work and communicate results to other members of the team.
• Visual Designer
Visual Designers will use their expertise in typography, layout, color, etc. to elicit emotional connections and intuitive, intelligent responses from our audience. Pixel perfect precision and expert skills in Adobe Creative Suite and other design software are a must.
• Design Developer
Design Developers will use their expertise in front-end programming to quickly prototype a working model of the assets and ideas generated by Visual, Interaction and Research Designers. A strong background in front-end technology – mobile and web - is a must here.
These practice directors will report to the Studio Director and the VP of Design (both with long track records of success inside the company).
Relocation support available.
Candidates must be design practitioners and submit a portfolio (PDF/website) to be considered.
How To Apply