The Industrial Designer works with Marketing and Engineering in the conceptualization and development of new product and top level design. Responsible for performing all tasks required (sketches, mock-ups, 3D CAD modeling, rendering, etc.) to deliver product design concepts.
• The Industrial Designer researches new product technologies & trends, competitor products, and anything related to understanding the end user.
• Consults with engineering, marketing, production, and sales representatives to establish design concepts.
• Evaluates design ideas based on value to end consumer factors such as design-function relationships, ergonomics, aesthetic appearance, serviceability, materials and methods engineering, application, budget, price, production costs, methods of production, market characteristics, client specifications, and company's strategy.
• Presents designs to appropriate audience for design review and implements modifications needed.
• Conceptualization and design also entails product packaging and graphics for product decals and advertising.
• Plans and builds conceptual prototypes of designs utilizing standard shop tools and machinery (band saw, sander, paint booth, etc.).
• Prepares or coordinates preparation of working drawings and illustrations from sketches and design specifications. Designs products for custom applications.
• Must be able to work within criteria established for the project by other business functions.
• Creates the documentation/data necessary to convey the design intent to management, engineering, or other business units, via renderings, 3D visual models, mechanical drawings, or part databases
• Ability to create hand sketches to convey concepts and aesthetics. Experienced in product design with high levels of ergonomics and aesthetics.
• Ability to create color presentation renderings using computer software used in printed and digital presentations.
• Ability to create 3D CAD models of external shapes utilizing high-end surfacing techniques in a software package such as Alias, Unigraphics NX, or other software.
• Understanding of manufacturing and engineering principles. Ability to build conceptual prototypes utilizing standard shop tools and machinery (band saw, sander, paint booth, etc.).
• Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year College or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• High mathematical skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
• Ability to interact with peers and support groups to gain needed input for project success
MTD Offers a competitive salary and benefit package that includes 401k, Pension, Health & Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Tuition Reimbursement, Vacation, 11 paid Holidays per year and much more. MTD is an equal opportunity employer M/F/D/V
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.