Public Information Specialist I (Multi-Media/Graphic Designer)
West Basin Municipal Water District is a California Special District that provides potable and recycled water to local public and investor-owned utilities in the coastal area of Los Angeles County. The District serves a population of nearly one million residents in 17 cities and unincorporated areas along the coastal corridor from Palos Verdes to Malibu. West Basin is a national leader in water recycling, ocean-water desalination, conservation, water resource management, and education programs. The District is governed by an elected five-member Board of Directors and is a member agency of the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California.
Under general direction, the Public Information Specialist I (Multi-Media/Graphic Designer) will perform a variety of professional activities in support of the District’s communications and outreach programs and activities. The District is seeking a versatile and experienced multi-media/graphic designer who will be responsible for the conceptualization and implementation of design solutions that meet outreach strategies in a wide range of graphic applications including: printed collateral materials, website management, environmental graphics, fact sheets, reports, brand identity, photography, packaging, advertising, video, multimedia interfaces, presentations and information graphics; and will perform related duties as assigned.
• Produces internal and external publications as well as website and online marketing; presents visual solutions to communicate strategies behind public outreach ideas and program executions; and manages the expectations of internal stakeholders.
• Develops a design style that is consistent with the District brand; designs for print, electronic and social media; designs collateral and layouts (brochures, postcards, invitations, and advertisements).
• Manages and designs all District website content and updates; web graphics assistance (CSS/HTML support) and assuring online content conforms to current web and graphic standards.
• Designs and produces white papers, fact sheets, technical reports and case studies; produces quarterly e-newsletters and sending html campaigns as scheduled.
• Creates event materials (signage, flyers, promotional items, etc.); photographs district facilities, events and programs; and films and edits videos for external use, marketing and education.
• Creates charts and technical water illustrations for print, presentations and web; designs and develops presentations for senior leadership; and manages projects through multiple rounds of approvals and edits.
• Contributes to conceptual development of projects in partnership with the public information team.
• May perform special projects and other job-related duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have:
• A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in graphic design, communication arts, marketing, advertising or a closely related field; AND three years of increasingly responsible professional experience designing for various types of media including web, news, print, and video; and experience designing high-level integrated branding programs, product literature, environmental graphics and interactive campaigns.
• Experience working in public relations, advertising or marketing organization preferred. Ability to design in both Spanish and English language is desirable.
• Knowledge of the principles, practices and trends applied in public relations, community affairs, advertising and marketing programs.
• Knowledge of current graphic design practices and software, such as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign and Adobe After Effects; layout and print production, desktop publishing; photography, digital cameras, video recorders and video editing software (such as Apple Final Cut ).
• Strong technical knowledge of how web-based technologies apply to web design such as HTML, Flash and CSS; website maintenance including content management systems (CMS) and design; social media tools, platforms, and standard practices.
• Ability to create superior, original designs for print, web and new media; design for and manage District website; photograph district activities, events, facilities and exhibit strong editing skills to professionally edit photos and maintain District’s photo library.
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing; and apply writing style and techniques appropriate for differing business and journalistic/public relations purposes.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with managers and staff, vendors, consultants, employees, representatives of other governmental agencies, and others encountered in the course of the work District employees and officials at all levels of the organization.
• The employee will be required, on occasion, to work evenings or weekends on a project by project basis.
• Possession of a valid Class C California Driver's License, proof of insurance and an acceptable driving record are required at the time of appointment and as a condition of continued employment.
Apply by: April 17, 2013. Apply online at: www.westbasin.org. For questions or additional information, please contact: West Basin Municipal Water District, Human Resources Department, 17140 S. Avalon Boulevard, Suite 210, Carson, CA 90746, (310) 660-6228.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed District Online Application and Supplemental Questionnaire. The most qualified applicants will be invited to participate further in the screening process, which will include a panel interview and graphic design exercise.
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.