We are looking to hire a senior designer to join the management team in the Columbus office. This leadership role is crucial to helping us build a great practice. You will wear a lot of hats, which include helping Neo deliver great work to clients, building and mentoring the local design team, and pushing the boundaries of how design, engineering and business can and should work together.
Why Work With Us?
This job is an amazing opportunity to build out a design practice in our Columbus office, and advance the state of the art in how software products are made.
Clients work with us because of the results we deliver, and our ability to teach their teams how we do this great work. Our results are the end product of our craftsmanship, our principles, and our processes.
How do you know if Neo is a fit for you?
- You care about building products that actually fill a market need.
- You care about collaborating closely with engineers and domain experts to make something amazing.
- You care about thoughtful but also evidence-based design implemented in an agile, iterative process.
- You care about both teaching and learning every single day.
- You care about building a personal brand as a thought leader.
As a leader in the office, you are expected to wear multiple hats. Your responsibilities will encompass project leadership, hands-on design work, team mentorship and hiring, and helping close new business. The role is both intense and fulfilling. You get to be inspired by a truly talented team around you and the ability to work on meaningful projects.
You should love new learning curves, because every project is a stack of them. You should also have interest in many domains and across both enterprise and consumer applications.
Most likely, you will balance leading a specific engagement, which means taking ownership of its overall success, and also mentoring other designers working on other projects. To succeed here, you need to have a deep commitment to design, engineering and business all working in sync together to create something great.
Our senior practitioners are makers at heart, but we do get involved in the sales process before a deal is closed. We work with the business development team to ensure that we understand a prospect's needs, design the right kind of project structure, and properly set expectations.
We favor generalists over specialists. The ability to be flexible is particularly important at the senior level. To succeed in this role, you will need:
- Interaction Design skills - you have the ability to solve complex problems, work at a micro and a system level, and communicate solutions to a client.
- Qualitative Research skills - you can effectively design and implement an effective qualitative research program.
- Visual Design leadership - you have the ability to manage visual designers to ensure effective results.
- Awareness of design best practices - you stay on top of modern design best practices, both in terms of great work in the market as well as the tools that designers should use in their process.
- "Lean Startup" experience - you have put Lean Startup methodologies into practice (even if you didn't call it that), and have experience with experiment design and evidence-based ways of working.
- Strategic and holistic thinking - we believe that design is not just how something looks, but how it works and why it exists. This means a design leader must be able to think across business dimensions as well as classic UX/UI dimensions.
- Client management skills - you need to be able to inspire client confidence, listen acutely to their needs, guide them when they need guidance, and handle issues effectively when they emerge.
- Facilitation skills - you can lead a room and would feel comfortable leading a workshop.
- Thought leadership - you are interested in building a personal brand as a product design thought leader, whether via speaking, writing, video, etc.
- Fluency with agile methods - we use a lot of "XP" techniques at Neo, but we are more practical than dogmatic. You need to know how to collaborate with engineering partners and adjust a process based on the needs of a project.
- Project leadership skills - you will have responsibility for ensuring a smoothly functioning project team. This includes participation in work planning sessions that build and maintain a reliable cadence and leading regular project retrospectives.
- Comfort in the production environment - you need to have reasonable fluency with the tools we use for production, such as github, pivotal tracker, etc.
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.