Director of the School of Architecture + Design
The School of Architecture + Design is seeking a director who will be the school’s emissary within the design education and professional communities of it's design disciplines at the state, national and international level.
The director of the School of Architecture + Design will work with the faculty in articulating a vision for design education and scholarship for the school that includes disciplinary collaboration, recognizing the contribution of each discipline in forming the built environment. He or she will provide leadership to and be an advocate for the school’s programs at the Washington-Alexandria Architecture Center and the Center for European Studies and Architecture in Riva San Vitale, Switzerland, as well as other international study abroad sites and programs. The director of the School of Architecture + Design will work with the directors of the school’s research centers to coordinate research activities across the centers and seek external support and collaboration.
The director reports to the dean of the college and serves on the college’s Deans and Directors Council and works collaboratively with other school directors to advance education, research and engagement activities within the college. The director is based at the main Virginia Tech campus in Blacksburg and assists the dean in working with college and university administrators in carrying out the strategic plans of each. In collaboration with the dean and with the assistance of the program chairs, the director manages the affairs of the school. This includes: the preparation and monitoring of school and program budgets; the assignment of and reporting of school committees; the management of personnel, including overseeing the promotion and tenure process in the school, staffing needs, teaching and research assignments and faculty hiring; as well as fostering opportunities as they arise.
In addition, the director plays a significant role in fund raising efforts and provides leadership for interactions with alumni within the architecture and design communities.
It is anticipated that the appointment will be at the rank of professor with tenure. The initial term of appointment for the director is five years with the opportunity for reappointment. Appointment to the rank of professor carries with it professional responsibilities in teaching/learning, research/discovery, and outreach/engagement/service. Professors are expected to practice innovative modes of teaching in accordance with the school’s pedagogical traditions, integrating their teaching activities with the school’s ongoing research initiatives; demonstrate excellence in an area of knowledge related to architecture, industrial design, interior design or landscape architecture and to contribute to the body of knowledge in that area through research, scholarship, and creative activities; and engage in outreach and/or service work, including community service-learning projects, service to their profession, service to students through advising work, or service to the school, college, or university through participation on various committees, including curriculum development and/or peer review (promotion and tenure).
Required Credentials and Qualifications:
• A terminal degree (master’s, Doctor of Design or Ph.D.) in one of the design disciplines in the school (architecture, industrial design, interior design or landscape architecture)
• A professional degree in architecture, industrial design, interior design or landscape architecture
• National recognition within their profession, as evidenced by professional and educational awards, professional work, national offices or appointments held, and\or written and scholarly works
• Established record of scholarship and creative works
• Demonstrated understanding of and capacity to work with allied design professions, as demonstrated through collaboration on design projects, administrative experience, service on committees and/or commissions that involve other design professions, and/or invited lectures/juries for other design professions or interdisciplinary groups, as well as, other interdisciplinary activities
• Administrative and fiscal management experience
Preferred Credentials and Qualifications:
• Experience with professional accreditation
• International experience
• Significant outreach and/or community engagement work
Applicants must submit an Electronic Submission (required) to the Online Virginia Tech Job Site at http://listings.jobs.vt.edu:80/postings/42444 referencing posting #TR0130070. Applicant identities will remain confidential to the search committee until such time as a candidate is short listed.
Inquiries can be directed to Dr. Patrick Miller, Search Committee Chair
(Phone 540-231-0611 or email@example.com).
Virginia Tech has a strong commitment to the principle of diversity, and in that spirit seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities. Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodations in the application process should notify the hiring department by the application deadline.
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.