Company: Steelcase, Inc.
Position: Industrial Designer
Reports to: Director, Global Design
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
About Steelcase Inc.
For 100 years, Steelcase Inc. has helped create great experiences for the world's leading organizations – wherever work happens. Steelcase and our family of brands – including Steelcase®, Coalesse®, Designtex®, Details®, Nurture®, PolyVision® and Turnstone® – offer a comprehensive portfolio of furnishings, products and services designed to unlock human promise and support social, economic and environmental sustainability. We are globally accessible through a network of channels, including approximately 650 dealers. Steelcase is a global, industry-leading and publicly traded company with fiscal 2012 revenue of $2.75 billion.
Field: Industrial Design, Product Design, Furniture Design, Technology
Job Functions: Design thinking, experience design, product development, 3D modeling, building exploration models and prototypes, concept presentations.
The Steelcase Design team is growing again, tackling new domains and has just moved into our new world-class innovation center. We are looking for talented mid to senior level designers who are passionate about furniture, technology and the evolving nature of work. Steelcase Design is a highly collaborative, multi-disciplinary studio that is responsible for innovative products across multiple brands and our complete global portfolio. Our Studios are located in Grand Rapids, Michigan; Strasbourg, France; Rosenheim, Germany and Hong Kong. Current positions are open in Grand Rapids.
Our ideal candidate will:
• have a strong portfolio of work, process and problem solving
• be highly empathetic and have a proven ability to research design problems and express design direction in clear, compelling frameworks
• work quickly and effectively through concept explorations in order to illustrate the corners/edges of a design problem
• have an intuitive sense for complex systems balanced with an extreme eye for details
• define, own and clearly communicate details, while helping cross functional teams understand the relationships between details and overall design intent
• be a hands-on thinker who is as comfortable in the model shop as they are with CAD or digital tools for storytelling
• be constantly feeding their intellectual and visual curiosities
• understand how to balance being provocative and being pragmatic
• be very comfortable expressing their point of view
* At least 2 years (mid level) of hands on design experience. A minimum of an Industrial Design degree, Architecture degree, or equivalent work experience is required.
* Knowledge of industrial design, and manufacturing processes.
* Furniture experience is preferred but not required.
* Should have ability to work in all phases of product development, from concept through to production details.
Please forward a copy of your most recent resume and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com, thank you.
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.