Creative Director, Joss and Main
Joss & Main, the fastest growing flash sales site for the home, is seeking its first Creative Director to join its senior team. Along the way you’ll help make our office more passionate, our brand more powerful, and grow our sales even further. With a brand that’s known for being gracious, welcoming, editorial and content-driven the Joss & Main team are excited to continue to build on our successes by adding a senior creative professional to oversee all creative aspects of our brand in the marketplace. Along with a team of talented designers & copywriters, you’ll have the chance to help continue to evolve how a great and constantly changing e-commerce brand shows up in the marketplace (and in millions of highly engaged members’ mailboxes daily).
This role will oversee several different teams, including Marketing & UI/UX Design, Marketing Copy, Event Visual Production, Event Copy, and Photo Studio Art Direction. This is a particularly exciting time in the evolution of our brand, as we are opening our first 5,000 square foot purpose-built photo studio, expanding our UI/UX capabilities, and investing in continuing to build out our web product in highly innovative ways. Comfortable spanning the worlds of home design magazines and e-commerce, equally conversant in décor and conversion funnels, highly structured and highly innovative, this is a unique role for a unique individual. You’ll need to know how to run a production team, run a team that art directs photo shoots, and develop great editorial, branded and direct response integrated creative across media including everything from banners to TV. Likely starting from the design “side of the house” you’ll view copy & design as coequal members of a refined editorial brand.
The right leader for our creative team will unify a number of different aspects:
• Editorial: thrives on visual storytelling, editorial layout, and engagement, highly comfortable with photography
• Brand-oriented: can drive the continued evolution of a gracious and refined brand that represents a well-finished home to many different consumer and design segments
• Scrappy: very entrepreneurial, with a can-do attitude and a love for solving design and business problems with clever and resource limited solves
• Highly business and e-commerce oriented: focused on the bottom line just as much as the brand, loves to partner with marketing to drive revenue and profit; loves the dynamism of e-commerce; comfortable in a highly data-driven environment
• Passionate about home: thrives on home décor and design
• Great manager: loves mentorship, can make tough calls, inspires confidence within and across teams
• Concept, develop and manage a “best in class” creative brand and creative product: deliver not only the big idea, but manage the tactical details to make sure that idea is executed and consumers see it
• Manage creative teams and tracks of work across 48 sales events per week, multiple marketing & product deliverables that are live at one time, and a dedicated photography studio
• Lead and direct the whole creative team from concept to completion
• Plan and estimate for highly complex projects; drive completion on-time, on-budget, and above expectations
• Risk/issue management and resolution, partnering closely with marketing, software engineering, buying, and operations
• Further evolve our brand identity, continuing to develop a young brand into a household name
• Apply brand identity systems, typography, photography, color and other ingredients appropriately to create innovative visual solutions that meet business and user needs
• Visualize, design and conceptualize a user experience; create visual prototypes or screens
• Extend existing visual systems/brand guidelines across all mediums with moderate design changes or interpretation
• Own accountability for quality of all creative deliverables (including but not limited to: event-, web product- and marketing-related assets, campaigns, TV commercials, styling in our photo studio)
• Contribute to the development of the creative team's culture and quality standards
• Manage workflow for of day-to-day responsibility to other Designers, Art Directors, Senior Art Directors, Writers
• Consistently elevate the level of the work coming out of the creative team, and foster a passion for always doing better; create a real consciousness for business results on the creative team
• Educate other team members, not exclusive to the creative team, through project development and performance management
• Collaborate with marketing, technology, and buying teams to create and develop new business opportunities
• Develop new processes to create great creative work that elicit consumer desire for home décor and furniture
• Roll up your sleeves and work alongside your team, pushing pixels & writing as needed to deliver what the brand needs
• Evangelize the brand, developing ways to help further embed the brand in all of the many teams that comprise Joss & Main: buying, marketing, operations, customer service, etc.
• Take creative (and business) risks, fail fast, learn, repeat, and constantly learn: help us make a great business and brand even greater
• 8+ years of industry/agency experience
• 4+ years education in creative fields; classical training will be viewed very positively
• An incredibly compelling design portfolio of work spanning different media, with evidence for problem solving, innovation, and driving business results
• Clear evidence of overseeing great writers to produce great writing and demonstrated ability to create fantastic work with closely integrated teams of writers & designers
• Experience with editorial layout
• Ability to multi-task and work efficiently under pressure with careful attention to detail is a must
• A solid knowledge of the latest versions of all applicable design programs: Mac OS, Photoshop, Fireworks, Illustrator, etc.
• A solid understanding of online and offline production
• Passion for design and eagerness to mentor and elevate other creative people
• Self-motivated, organized and accountable
• Experience leading a team of designers, production specialists and writers to creative excellence
• Well-developed communication skills including ability to articulate creative concepts and rationale to other team members and client
• Experience art directing photo shoots, and/or managing art directors of photo shoots; comfort expanding your reach to new media
• Understanding of motion design and the strengths and limitations of Flash, Ajax, Flex, and other emerging platforms
• A solid understanding of informational architecture practices, UI/UX design, and different web technology (UI/UX)
• Clear evidence of understanding e-commerce models (conversion rates, user flows, and key metrics including AOV, repeat rates, etc etc…)
• Demonstrated experience driving high productivity in a design and writing team, organizing workflows, deadlines, and managing for business results
• Comfort with working in startup environments and/or other highly resource-constrained environments
• Experience marketing to different consumer segments, understanding core technical, functional, and emotional benefit hierarchies for very different consumer groups
• Experience with and passion for working directly with marketers (eg, without account management)
• Experience working in a large group environment (with teams of 10+); great reviews from design & writing staff as well as from marketing partners
• Some limited travel may be required (to Boston-area photo studios, potentially to occasional location shoots)
As a young and very rapidly growing brand, we very much welcome applications from early career stage creative directors hungry to cut their teeth on tactics and strategy, who love to roll their sleeves up, and who know what it means to work hard as part of a hard-charging team.
About Joss & Main:
Joss & Main (http://www.jossandmain.com), a unique and innovative e-retailer for aspirational home goods and lifestyle products, is a privately held division of Wayfair LLC, the world’s largest online destination for the home. Within 18 months of launch we have scaled from zero to become one of the largest flash sale sites for the home, and are on track to reach a business of well over than $100m by the end of this year.
We are a daily destination that brings design within reach of every consumer, offering curated events and coveted products at prices that can’t be found elsewhere. We help our members who are proud of their homes bring their style to life, discovering just the right pieces to enrich every individual taste. We have a highly editorial, highly curated, and very high involvement brand that resonates strongly and has rapidly created significant loyalty from its several million members. By delighting our members every day with the thrill of the find, we are setting new records for engagement and very rapidly scaling our revenue and profitability.
Our team of marketers, designers, buyers, merchandisers and technologists are revolutionizing sales for home goods with our ability to draw from the world’s largest selection of goods. Our mission is to bring the most desirable and sought-after brands to the consumers who want them most, serving as a highly effective retail channel for the best products & names in furniture, décor, cookware, accents, textiles, personal accessories, services and more.
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.