Staff User Experience Design Researcher, Global Media & Commerce Products
Today, the Web and the world are inseparable – dynamic, constantly in motion, and streaming past faster than ever before. It’s a part of everyday life. And it’s how our users stay connected to everything and everyone that matters. Only Yahoo combines innovative technology with a human touch to create engaging and meaningful experiences that keep over half a billion people informed, entertained, and connected to what matters to them the most. Whether it’s feeding their hunger for the content they love, or helping them discover things they didn’t even know they were looking for, Yahoo! empowers our users to get more out of the Web so they can get more out of life.
Yahoo’s Global Media & Commerce team is responsible for industry leading experiences that over half a billion people around the world rely on every day to stay connected to the stories, people, and topics they care about. From breaking news about national politics or Hollywood’s latest gossip, the performance of their stock portfolio or their favorite team, discovering the latest internet video meme or award-winning original programming, to expert advice on buying a new home or selling an old car - our users rely on Yahoo.
Our mission at Yahoo is to make the world’s daily habits more inspiring and entertaining. The Global Design Research Team plays a critical role in achieving that mission. No other function at Yahoo! is able to provide the rich set of tools, capabilities, or talent needed to deeply understand the latent needs of our users on a rational, emotional, and meaningful level. We are committed to championing a human-centered design process that leverages design research to bridge the gap between our users and our designers, product managers, and engineers to inspire and influence the creation of innovative experiences that connect our users to what matters most to them.
The ideal candidate will possess strong leadership skills and a solid track record of consistently delivering research that influenced product and design strategy and execution. They will be adept at translating research insights into actionable recommendations that directly address key product and design goals. Strong qualitative research skills across a variety of methodologies are critical for success in this role; so to is the ability to present recommendations in a clear and compelling manner to influence product and design decisions. A strong team spirit, effective collaboration and experience working in cross-functional teams are required. A healthy dose of creativity, agility, and moxie will round out the ideal candidate.
· Independently plan, design, and conduct high quality design research that spans a range of business needs – including opportunity exploration, competitive analysis, and product concept and design evaluations.
· Analyze and synthesize results into actionable recommendations that inform product and design strategy and execution.
· Collaborate with other researchers and analysts within Yahoo! to create comprehensive and coordinated research strategies and triangulate data from different sources/methods to develop a holistic picture of the problem/opportunity.
· Partner with senior-level product managers and designers and executives to understand business needs and design research studies that directly address these needs.
· Passionately advocate for the end user by influencing decisions to ensure that product and design decisions are aligned with user needs and expectations.
· Demonstrated success translating research results into actionable recommendations that have a traceable impact on product or design strategy and execution.
· Extremely strong communication skills and demonstrated success presenting research study results (qualitative and quantitative) in a clear and compelling manner to senior-level cross-functional stakeholders that persuades action.
· Razor sharp attention to detail, highly organized, ability to accurately set and consistently meet commitments.
· Minimum of 7 years experience leading design research activities within a product development organization or in support of a large website.
· Experience utilizing both qualitative analysis (e.g., content analysis, affinity modeling) and quantitative analysis (e.g., descriptive and inferential statistics) to explore, understand, and establish relationships between discrete data points.
· Experience conducting research throughout the product development cycle of successfully launched consumer web and/or software applications, including up-front discovery, concept generation and exploration, and various forms of design evaluations.
· Advanced degree in Cognitive or Experimental/Social Psychology, Cognitive Science, Human Factors/HCI, Anthropology, Design, or related area.
· Formal training in negotiation and group facilitation a plus.
Apply online at: http://bit.ly/ZMQZuA
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.