Sr. User Experience Design Researcher, Yahoo! Search
Today, the Web and the world are inseparable – dynamic, constantly in motion, and streaming past faster than ever before. It’s a part of everyday life. And it’s how our users stay connected to everything and everyone that matters. Only Yahoo combines innovative technology with a human touch to create engaging and meaningful experiences that keep over half a billion people informed, entertained, and connected to what matters to them the most. Whether it’s feeding their hunger for the content they love, or helping them discover things they didn’t even know they were looking for, Yahoo! empowers our users to get more out of the Web so they can get more out of life.
Our mission at Yahoo is to make the world’s daily habits more inspiring and entertaining. The Global Design Research Team plays a critical role in achieving that mission. No other function at Yahoo! is able to provide the rich set of tools, capabilities, or talent needed to deeply understand the latent needs of our users on a rational, emotional, and meaningful level. We are committed to championing a human-centered design process that leverages design research to bridge the gap between our users and our designers, product managers, and engineers to inspire and influence the creation of innovative experiences that connect our users to what matters most to them.
Yahoo is seeking an experienced User Experience Design Researcher to join the Global Design Research. We are a fun, tightly-knit team that is focused on creating next-generation search experiences that enrich people's lives by providing them with richer, more useful search results so that they can complete their tasks more efficiently and get from "to do" to "done”. This includes Yahoo Search, local and maps, shopping, and Yahoo Answers, our community-based “Q and A” service.
As a Design Researcher, you will be responsible for planning, designing, and conducting research to generate actionable recommendations that have a meaningful impact on product and design strategy and execution decisions. You will collaborate closely with your cross-functional counterparts in Design, Product Management, and Engineering. Your research will be vital to defining the next-generation Yahoo Search strategy, spearheading a user-centered design process, and developing the most useful, usable, and delightful search experience in the world.
The ideal candidate will possess strong leadership skills and a solid track record of consistently delivering research that influenced product and design execution. They will be adept at translating research insights into actionable recommendations that directly address key product and design goals. Strong qualitative research skills across a variety of methodologies are critical for success in this role; so to is the ability to present recommendations in a clear and compelling manner to influence product and design decisions. A strong team spirit, effective collaboration and experience working in cross-functional teams are required. A healthy dose of creativity, agility, and moxie will round out the ideal candidate.
• Plan, design, and conduct high quality design research that spans a range of business needs –including opportunity exploration, competitive analysis, and product concept and design evaluations.
• Analyze and synthesize results into actionable recommendations that inform product and design strategy and execution.
• Collaborate with other researchers and data analysts within Yahoo! to create comprehensive and coordinated research strategies and triangulate data from different sources/methods to develop a holistic picture of the problem/opportunity.
• Partner with product managers and designers to understand business needs and design research studies that directly address these needs.
• Passionately advocate for the end user by influencing decisions to ensure that product and design decisions are aligned with user needs and expectations.
• Demonstrated success translating research results into actionable recommendations that have a traceable impact on product or design strategy and execution.
• Extremely strong communication skills and demonstrated success presenting research study results in a clear and compelling manner to cross-functional stakeholders that persuades action.
• Razor sharp attention to detail, highly organized, ability to accurately set and consistently meet commitments.
• Minimum of 1-2 years experience leading design research activities within a product development organization or in support of a large website.
• Experience utilizing qualitative analysis techniques (e.g., content analysis, affinity modeling) and quantitative analysis (e.g., cluster analysis, descriptive and inferential statistics) to explore, understand, and establish relationships between discrete data points.
• Experience conducting research throughout the product development cycle of successfully launched consumer web and/or software applications, including up-front discovery, concept generation and exploration, and various forms of design evaluations.
• Advanced degree in Cognitive or Experimental/Social Psychology, Cognitive Science, Human Factors/HCI, Anthropology, Design, or related area.
• Experience in quantitative research and analysis and experimental design a plus.
Apply online at: http://bit.ly/12qQfwz
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.