Senior Designer, Advanced Design-Colors, Finishes & Materials
Newell Rubbermaid is a global marketer of consumer and commercial products that touch the lives of people where they live, work and play. We are committed to building consumer and commercial Brands That MatterTM while leveraging the benefits of being one company: shared expertise, operating efficiencies, and a culture of innovation. Our globally recognized brands include Sharpie, Paper Mate, DYMO, EXPO, Waterman, Parker, Rolodex, IRWIN, LENOX, Rubbermaid, Graco, Calphalon, Goody, and Teutonia.
As a Principal CFM Designer you will work with teams located in Newell Rubbermaid’s new 40,000-square-foot design headquarters in Kalamazoo, Michigan, in the Business, Technology and Research Park of Western Michigan. This new facility has been carefully planned to foster creativity and maximize the sharing of ideas and technologies among the company’s brands and process partners. A large, open studio space will provide the ideal environment for designers and engineers to collaborate using advanced software tools. Immersion labs for the company’s priority business segments will enable design and engineering teams to evaluate product prototypes and imagine the possibilities of future product roadmaps. You will collaborate closely with Industrial Designers to create customer experiences for the next generation of consumer products. This person will forecast and implement color, finish, material (CFM) trends that improve the lives of our customers. In this role you will enhance aspects of form, aesthetics and the interfaces between users and products through CFM. Strong people skills are required to ensure a smooth transition from Advanced (Strategy) to Segment (Commercialization) Design teams. Additionally, you will partner with the Advanced Technology, Industrial Design and Material teams to champion innovative CFM solutions that will be incorporated into the product design.
The role requires an individual who can work independently as well as directly with our US based Design Team. The role offers opportunities to collaborate with Marketing, procurement, and product business teams from both our US and Hong Kong offices. You will forge strong relationships with Engineering and Procurement teams to ensure CFM guidelines are being met. As an extension of our design team in the US you will have opportunities to help us explore our US focused categories of Outdoor Living, Home Organization, Closet, Garage, Indoor Waste, Outdoor Refuse, Laundry, Kitchen, Cleaning and Insulated.
• Regularly introduces and champions new ideas, end user solutions and product platforms
• Regularly introduces patent-able features and product concepts. Drive competitive advantage
• Proven ability to lead and direct convergence of one or more final approaches to CFM within cross-functional and Senior Leadership teams
• Conceptualization and embedment of CFM strategies that support the brand at a segment level
• Preparation / creation of high quality presentation materials through different media: Highly Developed
• Public speaking and presentation skills: Highly Developed
• Influencing project teams through persuasion and communication: Sr. Leadership
• Business acumen: Highly Developed understanding of key metrics, business drivers and functional roles
• Lead external vendors to accelerate idea generation; Project proposals, timelines, and mgmt.
• Mentor for Segment Design teams and serves as a trusted advisor to the Segment business teams on CFM Process and Techniques
• Has a developed network of design professionals, consultants, prototypers and insights specialists
• CFM Guide Champion. Capable of supplying Licensing approval and feedback for a particular business segment
• Conceptualization and embedment of color, finish, material product platforms integration leveraging new and existing VBL
• Proven track record of integrating broader CFM trends into innovative design solutions that support brand and VBL strategies.
• Ability to develop programs that require direct contact with consumers and end users via qualitative and quantitative studies. Versed in research techniques and methodologies
• Advanced knowledge of competitive product, retail environments and market influences. Publishes and fosters communication of current trends and events within project teams
• Responsible for prompt submission of expense reports and adherence to purchasing policies
• Ten years + of relevant experience in corporate or consulting design
• Minimum: Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design or related field
Work Experience Requirements:
• Ability to present in English.
• Mechanically inclined with strong aesthetic sensitivity.
• Excellent communication and presentation skills.
• Demonstrate ability to work in team environments
• Design for manufacture: Advanced knowledge and skills. (Robust understanding of NR mfg. processes and capabilities)
• Self-motivated and flexible. Willing to learn new things
• Proven ability to drive multiple programs simultaneously
• Ability to work independently toward project goals and timelines with no direction
• Ability to occasionally travel and work internationally.
• Advanced sketching, vector, and raster artwork.
• Advanced 3D-CAD development and rendering
• Advanced conceptual, creative and analytical skills
• Advanced skills for: Study models, breadboards and proof of principle models
Technical Experience Requirements:
-Adobe Creative Suite, Solidworks / Pro E and Keyshot
Newell Rubbermaid and its Business Units are Equal Opportunity Employers and comply with applicable employment laws. M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.