Hubbardton Forge is one of the country’s largest contemporary forges located in Castleton, Vermont. We have been domestically designing and manufacturing award-winning hand forged lighting fixtures and accessories for over 35 years.
We are currently seeking a dynamic individual for a Designer position. The Designer will develop new design concepts that ensure both function and aesthetics remain an industry benchmark for what is best in class and quality. In this role, the Designer will assist in following the concept through prototype and production with design support. This position will be part of a fast-paced product design and development environment and will focus on conceptual product design and 3-D modeling. The Designer will collaborate with our engineers and in-house prototyping and tooling team to guide products through the development and approval process.
SPECIFIC ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
• Create designs that ensure both function and aesthetics remain an industry benchmark for what is best in class and quality.
• Actively participate to ensure annual new product introductions meet the strategic plan set by senior management.
• To ensure current and future technology, energy and compliance issues are key criteria for design decisions and direction.
• To ensure released designs still meet original design intent in function and aesthetics following changes of engineering and manufacturability.
• To ensure the process is managed to a schedule which optimizes the organizational resources as a whole and particularly of “Product Design’s” up and down stream customers.
• Provide the “Design Eye” by which each design concept may be vetted and honed to the best possible market.
• Understand customer and market data in order to successfully define the direction for product design direction and innovation.
GENERAL ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
• Role model quality for functional area in understanding the importance of Customer Focus and first time quality.
• Develop quality consciousness among the company..
• Work with appropriate cross-functional areas to create quality standards where they do not exist.
• Follow appropriate processes, standards, specifications and norms to meet quality expectations in all aspects of work.
• Communicate the internal and external customer quality concerns to the functional area.
• Serve as a role model to the functional area with regard to productivity consciousness with the customer in mind.
• Share knowledge with team in an effort to improve overall team performance and individual contribution.
• Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams to problem solve, develop and implement corrective measures when performance falls short of acceptable targets.
• Encourage value stream thinking within your functional area and across the company.
• Strive to achieve monthly goal as outlined in the business plan.
• Alert cross-functional leaders of issues that may affect objectives or goals of the value streams.
• Participate in training and development programs (team and/or individual) to ensure success of functional area.
• Measure individual performance and progress against provided targets. Make work visual to identify problems and problem solve.
• Develop lean metrics to measure the performance relative to functional area and overall business goals and objectives.
• Champion an environment of Continuous Improvement to the functional areas.
• Make continuous improvement a priority to ensure long-term stability.
• Participate in waste reduction initiatives and implementation of process improvements.
• Ensure that continuous improvement is a part of daily standard work.
• Use structured problem solving to drive results within a team setting.
• Consistently PDCA to eliminate waste and create value for the customer at every touch point.
• Support Culture and serve as a role model for peers and functional area in work practices and in performing at all times consistent with the Core Beliefs and Values of the Company as well as the Company’s Performance Competencies.
• Advocate for functional area by being receptive, actively listening, and communicating concerns, impressions and observations to others as needed.
• Foster mutual respect and commitment among team members and Leadership.
• Maintain an ongoing dialogue with Leadership and peers to ensure ongoing alignment of priorities and objectives.
• Share knowledge on departmental processes, guidelines and procedures, performance expectations, job duties and other issues to help team members improve their understanding, work performance and satisfactions.
• Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
• High School diploma or GED required
• A BA degree in industrial design or related field
• 3+ recent years applicable work experience
• Endless creativity
• Great sense of form and proportion with a keen eye for detail
• Strong conceptual/sketching communication skills
• Excellent verbal skills to communicate with other designers, engineers, etc.
• Ability to balance innovation and design with an understanding of manufacturing abilities and constraints
• Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to handle multiple projects with conflicting deadlines
• Self-motivated with a high level of responsibility and professionalism
• Creative problem solving
• Strong team-working skills; ability to generate cross-department cooperation to accomplish required tasks
• Knowledge/skills to “think outside the box”, in products, processes, and people
• The ability to do hands on work and a willingness to learn new skills
How To Apply