Design Engineering Manager
The Design Engineering Manager is charged with overseeing our CAD data creation and management. This role will work closely with the Design, Development and Product Management teams to ensure that design standards are met, and workflow is managed to deliver 3D databases for all new products in the pipeline. ]The Design Engineering Manager will be responsible to ensure that all CAD and Engineering projects are planned and executed in the product development process. This includes managing schedules and working with external resources either locally or in China to deliver all projects to completion. This role will be responsible to recruit, plan and manage external contractors for this task.
In addition to project management, this role will be expected to handle, develop, manipulate and construct 3D geometry. Strong surfacing skills and a more technical bias is preferable. Strong proficiency in Solidworks, Pro-Engineer and/or Rhino. The successful candidate should have a strong working knowledge of at least one of these, though preferably more. The candidate should have a good eye for aesthetics and be able to understand and work with designers. The candidate should also have experience with injection molded tooling design, large volume manufacturing, other manufacturing processes/materials, preparing CAD files for production, constructing parametric files from scan data, and 3D printing. The candidate, amongst other duties, will be expected to create physical prototypes using internal or external 3D printing equipment, or other model making resources.
When necessary, this role will need to be on call after standard working hours in order to ensure that all team members are working with up to date and accurate information in the USA as well with development or manufacturing partners overseas. This role may also require overseas travel to work directly with partners on projects preparing for production.
Key areas of responsibility include:
• Provide overall leadership to manage engineering and CAD from idea to production, specifically to oversee that all elements are tracking to schedule.
• Managing the internal flow of communication for projects with team members in the San Francisco, Los Angeles and China offices as it relates to their categories.
• Managing the budget for services and/or incidentals needed to complete projects.
• Driving and evolving a process for CAD and Engineering that bring innovative products to market as efficiently as possible.
Desired Skills and Experience:
• A minimum of 5 years experience designing and engineering 3D databases for high volume manufacturing, specifically for injection molding.
• Broad knowledge of materials, material applications, manufacturing methods, and technology; with specific expertise with: injection molding, electronics product assembly; paintings, plating and other coating processes for plastic parts; and silicone casting.
• A minimum of 2 years of direct management experience, including some experience leading teams or managing direct reports.
• Must have a dynamic understanding of design and development processes, from concept to production.
• Prior experience in a setting with relatively short product development timelines, and multiple projects is ideal.
• Good communication skills and the ability to build consensus and drive decisions.
• Must be a critical thinker and reliable decision-maker, with strong attention to detail and an appetite for success.
• A leader who truly is committed to a process that honors both creativity and business accountability.
• Must be very organized and have exemplary time management skills.
• Ability to prioritize and re-prioritize workload needed.
• Experience working with overseas suppliers and strong negotiation skills are required.
• A person who truly enjoys shepherding the development process and believes in working hard and having fun while you do it.
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.