Principal Usability Specialist
As a Principal Usability Specialist you will work with teams located in Newell Rubbermaid’s new 40,000-square-foot design headquarters in Kalamazoo, Michigan, in the Business, Technology and Research Park of Western Michigan. This new facility has been carefully planned to foster creativity and maximize the sharing of ideas and technologies among the company’s brands and process partners. A large, open studio space will provide the ideal environment for designers and engineers to collaborate using advanced software tools. Immersion labs for the company’s priority business segments will enable design and engineering teams to evaluate product prototypes and imagine the possibilities of future product roadmaps and a Usability Lab for testing our products. You will collaborate closely with Usability Specialists, Industrial Designers and Graphic Designers to create user experiences for the next generation of consumer products. This person will conceptualize and develop new products that improve the lives of our customers. In this role you will work define the user experience between users and products. You will be working closely with Industrial Designers, Marketing and Engineering and will provide support of human factors, cognitive engineering, interaction design and user experience strategies for our products.
The role requires an individual who can work independently as well as directly with our US based Design Team. The role offers opportunities to collaborate with Marketing, procurement, and product business teams from both our US, Paris, Belgium and Hong Kong offices. You will forge strong relationships with Engineering to ensure Brand and Product architecture guidelines are being met.
• Act as a primary interface with key Segments relative to usability issues and opportunities
• Work closely with Director, Usability to properly drive change management in the organization around the embedment of human sciences as a skill set and competency
• Work closely with design counterparts to effectively deliver industry leading user experience solutions
• Responsible for managing and planning all projects/activities within a specific segment
• Partner closely with all relevant Segments to ensure the deployment and adherence to established human factors design guidelines. Also own and maintain those guidelines and update/modify as required to keep relevant.
• Act as primary lead to deliver cutting edge Human Sciences (human factors, usability, cognitive engineering, etc.) skills and services to the relevant Segments
• Own key relationships with Segment marketing and product development leaders to deliver world class usability solutions
• Support the development of usability related budgets as applicable
• Effectively execute user-centered design activities and research throughout the product development process
• Conduct usability and ergonomic research
• Assist in preparation of next generation of user experience and human science practitioners for the corporation
• Ten years + of relevant experience working as a usability/human factors professional in a corporate or consulting environment
• Minimum: Masters of Science in Human Factors Engineering, Cognitive Psychology, Ergonomics/Anthropometrics or related field.
Work Experience Requirements:
• Ability to present in English
• Excellent communication, presentation and negotiation skills
• Must be highly skilled in applying ergonomic and anthropometric data to drive requirements and improvements in products
• Must possess strong influence management skills and be able to effectively deal with ambiguous situations and make decisions based on imperfect information
• Must have experience with ergonomics/anthropometrics of physical components such as pens, tools or other hand held devices
• Must have experience doing all of the activities in the User Centered Design process from the initial information gathering to testing and documentation/specifications
• Must be able to fully conduct an entire usability study: moderate, take notes, plan and design the research activities.
• Demonstrate ability to work in team environments
• Must have proven ability to deliver winning, marketplace validated usability solutions and work effectively across cross functional work teams
• Self-motivated and flexible. Willing to learn new things
• Proven ability to drive multiple programs simultaneously
• Ability to work independently toward project goals and timelines with no direction
• Ability to occasionally travel and work internationally
Technical Experience Requirements:
• MS Visio
• Statistical Software (i.e. SPSS, etc.)
• Adobe Creative Suite (preferred)
• MS Office
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.