Graphic Designer - Tools brands
This position will be responsible for graphic design for powerful brands to include Irwin Tools, Lenox Saw Blades, Hilmor HVAC tools.
As a Graphic Designer you will work with teams located in Newell Rubbermaid’s new 40,000-square-foot design headquarters in Kalamazoo, Michigan, in the Business, Technology and Research Park of Western Michigan. This new facility has been carefully planned to foster creativity and maximize the sharing of ideas and technologies among the company’s brands and process partners. A large, open studio space will provide the ideal environment for designers and engineers to collaborate using advanced software tools. Immersion labs for the company’s priority business segments will enable graphic design and industrial design teams to evaluate product prototypes and imagine the possibilities of future product roadmaps. You will collaborate closely with Industrial Designers to create customer experiences for the next generation of consumer products. This individual will work closely with ID and Marketing to create and direct all Graphic Design assets needed during the commercialization process: Graphic Design, Packaging Design, Photography, Video, Digital Assets and In-store Environments. Strong people skills are required to ensure a smooth transition from either ID Teams or marketing Teams.
The Graphic Designer translates strategies into innovative design solutions for packaging, merchandising and sales collateral and integrates brand identity and messaging consistently across multiple product lines and platforms. The Designer understands key target audiences and makes strategic use of typographic, photographic, illustrative, and graphic elements to resonate with consumers/customers and drive results. The Designer develops layouts and imagery used in a variety of creative projects, including brand identity, packaging, POP, promotions, collateral and events. The Designer is responsible for creative excellence.
• Reviews content of creative briefs and provides input regarding content, and questions when appropriate to ensure information is understood and actionable to execute the design work.
• Executes the visual articulation (style and tone) of the approved strategy.
• Executes and applies brand style guide elements, including logo, product branding, typography, packaging, photography, video, e-business and activation materials, ensuring consistency with brand positioning.
• Participates in brainstorming sessions with creative design team, in order to generate creative ideas on an as-needed project basis.
• Presents creative concepts to marketing teams, with rationale.
• Maintains knowledge of creative marketing trends and best practices.
• Prepares assets in pragmatic, efficient structure according to production guidelines to ensure easy duplication when appropriate.
Visual Assets Management:
• Uses the NWL internal visual asset system and complies with the set structure and hierarchy to ensure assets are easily discoverable and maintained appropriately.
• Provides input for on-going usage and improvement to the NWL internal visual asset system.
• Builds creative layouts and files according to industry standards in preparation for production.
• Attends on-site press approvals and/or approves production proofs.
External Vendors Management:
• Supports day-to-day activities of agency and related vendor relationships, helps hold agency partners accountable to program goals and ensure budgets are on track, and contributes to program measurement.
• Complies with workflow system and approval process.
Organization Role and Structure and Talent Management:
• Completes PMDP process for self.
• Collaborates with marketing services peers to share best practices.
• Uses appropriate decision-making and approval processes in a timely manner.
• Makes recommendations to streamline and simplify creative processes.
• Participates in and helps organize recruiting events.
• College degree in graphic design or related field and/or prior business experience.
• 3-5 years graphic design experience in all aspects of design (packaging, merchandising, POP, sales collateral, pre-press and print).
• Highly proficient in all industry leading software, including Adobe Creative Suite (In Design, Illustrator, Photoshop), with the ability to work in MAC & PC environments.
• Understanding of multimedia/interactive design principles and able to design for Web, Video and Animation a plus.
• Understanding of print production workflow, designs with the end in mind for maximum efficiencies.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Highly collaborative team player who works proactively with multiple stakeholders
• Excellent problem solving skills – pragmatic, resourceful and solution-oriented with a positive, “can-do” attitude.
• Strong organization, time management and decision-making skills.
• Ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced work environment with exceptional attention to detail.
• Passion for design and knowledgeable on industry trends.
• Possesses sense of curiosity, love of learning and drive for continuous growth.
Please include work samples or a link to a portfolio with your submission.
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.