Fashion Designer opportunities for Helmut Lang Men's design
Purpose/Scope: Work collaboratively under direction of Creative Directors. Design in all phases of the design development process: from building of initial concept thru sample making and actual production. Facilitate communication with all necessary depts. including art dept, trim, embroidery, merchandising, pattern-making and production and build partnerships across brand.
Responsibility includes but is not limited to:
WORK ON A CONTINUOUS BASIS TO DEVELOP KNIT, WOVEN AND CUT AND SEW IDEAS:
• Interface internally with all depts. to gather inspirational information to apply to seasonal development for knitwear, woven and cut and sew development
• Gather vintage garments to use for mock-ups and put together original ideas working w/ sample rooms.
• Source and develop new fabrics based on original vintage references.
• Attend vintage fairs and visit local vintage dealers for continuous model research
• Research and Develop dye and wash techniques to apply to conceptual and core programs
• Research market regularly for creative ideas, product awareness and pricing in order to present ideas that are well researched and brand appropriate.
• Initial Design sketches showing seasonal ideas for product development
• Historical photograph research and contemporary tear sheet research
• Detailed garment views and sketches for review in design meetings.
• Detailed flat “call-out” sketches for inclusion in technical packages to describe garment construction for factory to follow.
• Detailed fabric, print, embroidery and lace layouts working from vintage inspiration and historical photo references.
• Sketch modifications/ updates after design review in fittings to be sent with fit comments back to factories.
• Creation of design boards including mock ups, reference garments, fabrics, trims and sketches for design meetings
TRIM RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT:
• Pull research and trim options for design selection
• Follow up for trim approvals and get i/c #’s for tech packs
• Work w/ Fabric Director to research and pull together fabric options
• Assist in the preparation of garments for factory to follow for first proto including: draping of original garment for first proto, working w/ seamstress to create drape and/or original mock-up and overseeing Design Associate in developing these skills.
• Oversee that all sketches are updated and stats and design boards are updated.
• Creation of design boards including mock ups, reference garments, fabrics, trims
• Logo and graphic print artwork creation
• Initiate technical packages including measurement specifications, trims, construction details sketches for factory to generate first prototype. Work closely with Technical Design team when initiating info.
• Input design sketches, stripe layouts, collar and cuff layouts as required.
• Oversee Associate in building information in technical packages.
• Responsible for presenting design boards to Creative Directors and taking detailed meeting notes and following up from meeting by updating design boards, technical packages, etc.
GENERAL DESIGN DUTIES:
• Maintain design reference binders to include all Hand-offs program information.
• Line review/ showroom prep - Work as part of team to insure all changes are made to s/samples and assist in any required follow up
• Work on the creation of original color palettes for specific products.
• High level of creativity and understanding of high-end contemporary fashion market.
• Strong Design skills and ability to communicate ideas through hand sketches.
• Knowledge of draping a must.
• Technical Sketching and rendering capability.
• Ability to select and develop fabrics and trims to fit program needs.
• Excellent presentation and communication skills
• High level of computer proficiency- Adobe Illustrator , Photoshop and Excel.
• Fashion Design Education a must. European design experience a plus.
• 3-5 Years Design experience working in Men’s wear with min.
• Knowledge of better garment construction and sewing techniques
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.