Senior Associate, Design- Design Research
SC Johnson (SCJ) is one of the world’s leading makers of household brands. The company has operations in more than 70 countries and sells products in virtually every country around the world. Its product portfolio includes global brands such as Pledge®, Duck®, Mr. Muscle®, Windex®, Scrubbing Bubbles®, Glade®, Raid®, OFF!®, Baygon® and Ziploc®.
The company has been making great products for more than 125 years and the same family that started the company still owns and runs it today. For over a century, spanning five generations, the Johnson family has demanded the best for families everywhere.
Many of SC Johnson’s products have been, and remain, top sellers in their market categories. This product leadership is coupled with an established and long legacy of environmental responsibility, community leadership, innovation and being a great place to work. As well as accolades such as being named the fourth most innovative company in the consumer products category on Fast Company magazine’s annual Most Innovative Companies list, the company was named to Fortune Magazine’s “100 Best Places to Work” list, and Working Mother magazine regularly recognizes it as one of the "100 Best Places to Work” list. Working Mother magazine regularly recognizes SC Johnson as one of the 100 best companies for working mothers.
SC Johnson and Son, Inc., is seeking a Design Research Specialist that will lead teams to uncover stories and insights that drive User Experience and Product Innovation. This position sits in the design group within the Air Care division that is responsible for the Glade brand. The design researcher will be primarily responsible for helping lead project teams in unearthing latent users needs and behaviors, uncovering innovation opportunities and inspiring teams with compelling actionable insights. The ideal candidate must have a deep toolbox of research methods and techniques to better understand human behavior as it pertains to both front-end innovation as well as the holistic user experience. The Design Research Specialist will be a core team member of the design team, seamlessly moving between championing the user and providing creative inspiration. At SCJ, we not only want to deliver insights but to infuse and apply design research to every part of the creative process as we bring design, research, strategy and technology together in a multi-disciplinary approach.
Function Specific Accountabilities:
• Plan, organize, implement, and coordinate consumer research to inform product development activities in the Air Care business unit.
• Determine the most appropriate research and methodology for the user challenge at hand and, wherever necessary, create new research approaches and ideas.
• Uncover deep insights and translate them into useful communication artifacts or reports that yield actionable outcomes to directly impact innovation efforts across the business unit.
• Build consumer expertise in the Air Care category, understanding customer/client needs and expectations within a specific area of accountability.
• Infuse passion for prototyping new and innovative research methodologies to continuously press against the cutting edge of consumer/user research.
• Create frameworks, points of view and other compelling communication to share the user research and evangelize while synthesizing research findings, brand and business needs.
• Conduct workshops with other teams as well as management to share design thinking and user stories; craft compelling user stories and communicate them clearly to the rest of the division/company.
• Establish relationships and work effectively with internal teams and external suppliers to identify and solve problems, assess needs, and achieve winning business results.
• Express oneself clearly, orally and in writing, with the ability to give presentations to both technical and business management.
• Teach and mentor other team members and those less familiar with user research or design thinking.
• Thrive in a creative environment.
• Understand and implement appropriate policies and procedures including regulations, Standard Operating Procedures, etc.
• Able to travel approximately 25-35%.
• Be a collaborative member of the design team, with a willingness to wear multiple hats in the innovation process.
• A Master’s level degree in Design Research, Design Strategy, Product/Communication Design, Psychology, Anthropology or Human Factors Design with 3-5 years of user research experience. Or a Bachelor’s degree with 5-9 years of user research experience.
• 3+ years of hands-on experience designing, developing and implementing user research for innovation and design.
• Proven ability to manage multiple projects.
• Understanding of quantitative methods and some statistics or openness to learn them when needed.
• Prior product development experience is a must.
• Pioneering spirit and a passion for big audacious innovation.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Apply on our careers page at www.scjohnson.com Keyword search: 3454
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.