Welcome to Sourcebooks—an independent publishing house working on creating the next evolution of a book publishing company located in Naperville, IL. We truly believe that books have the power to touch people and change lives, and every author’s voice has a place. We are looking for another fearless leader to join our innovative team, in the role of Creative Director.
The Creative Director’s responsibility is to maintain and grow all aspects of creative deliverables for Sourcebooks, with a focus on creating the most interesting and eye catching covers across multiple imprints. You will drive the creative vision, voice, and presentation across all internal and external touch points for Sourcebooks. The Creative Director is responsible for the decision making in regards to in-progress deliverables and ultimately responsible for the delivery of final cover designs across the creative department.
The Creative Director we want will:
• Inspire. We want someone who motivates and supervises an existing team of incredibly talented designers from title ideation and conceptual development to project delivery. We are looking for the best to serve as a role model in challenging, and developing new methods of creative execution while mentoring and coaching team members to their fullest potential.
• Be Agile. We have a very creative, high-pressure environment. While many of our covers have months to be developed, we often need to turn around new ideas in just days. Or hours. You have to be willing to consistently push creative boundaries, while accepting and respecting the realities of the marketplace. Be able to solve problems, be flexible, and communicate complex ideas on the fly.
• Develop Process. You will introduce, and maintain the most efficient design processes focused on creating the highest quality book covers in a deadline driven environment. Be respectfully persistent in the pursuit of creative excellence and timely delivery of work.
• Collaborate. You will successfully work with the Production and Design team to turn ideas into tangible products. Be a skilled consensus builder with strong persuasion skills. The best will strike a perfect balance between book/title/author/publisher needs and requests and brazen ideas.
• Communicate. Effectively and often, within your department, across departments, and across Sourcebooks. Have a remarkable ability to not only present and champion our thinking, but provide keen insights and valuable perspectives.
• Embody the Entrepreneurial Spirit. Commit to an idea with passion and enthusiasm, and know when to change gears and let the Idea go. Be self-motivated, with strong communication skills and a desire to work in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment. Never be afraid of a late night, an early morning, an impossible idea or a challenge to overcome.
• Have an understanding of the consumer and the psychology of the buying process; what motivates a consumer, specifically a reader.
• A background in, or deep understanding of, publishing and/or the print industry – including marketing and advertising.
• Unquestioned integrity and values that the organization can trust without reservation.
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in a design, marketing, advertising, or related field.
• 3–5 years experience successfully managing a creative team.
• 5–10 years design experience
• Experience in project management, resource allocation, schedule management, and budgeting
• Proficient Skills in Adobe Creative Suite
• Love of typography
Ideal Candidate will also:
• Maintain detailed knowledge and insight into the design world and specifically how it relates to and affects cover design/ book publishing
• Demonstrate strong leadership, problem-solving, change management, and influencing skills.
• Exhibit a passion for design and for the mission of the company
• Make us laugh. Make us think. Blow our minds with your vision and commitment.
If you are interested in being part of this creatively driven, growing team, please send a cover letter of interest, salary requirements and a resume.
Sourcebooks is an equal opportunity employer. We invite resumes from all interested parties including women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities.
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.