Interactive & Mobile Designer
Birchbox is seeking a passionate, creative, and thoughtful Interactive & Mobile Designer to join our Creative Team. We are changing the way people discover e-commerce products and we want someone who can’t wait to play a huge role in defining and designing these new experiences.
As Interactive & Mobile Designer, you will be primarily responsible for maintaining and evolving the visual design of the Birchbox mobile app and the Birchbox mobile website. You will collaborate closely with our engineers and UX designers to create beautiful and usable mobile experiences that delight our customers and drive sales. We are looking for someone who can take the Birchbox mobile experience to the next level and shape it into something unique and distinctly Birchbox.
While the focus of this position will be mobile, we are looking for a designer who has design strength beyond the mobile realm and who will be excited to help with other digital design efforts. You will assist in creating desktop features that translate seamlessly across devices, ensuring that all Birchbox digital experiences feel polished and intentional.
The ability to work quickly under pressure and turn around designs on tight deadlines is crucial. Your design chops must be outstanding and you must care about every button, gradient and pixel of padding, as well as possess an intuitive feel for user-centered design. There's a lot to get done and the right candidate will be energized by the chance to create designs that will be touched and used by hundreds of thousands of people!
*****YOU MUST COMPLETE AN ENTRY ASSESSMENT TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION. PLEASE FIND THE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS DESCRIPTION.*****
- Concept and create pixel-perfect designs for mobile and iOS.
- Collaborate with engineers and user experience designers to create the best experiences for our customers.
- Analyze, refine and push our current app and mobile site to make them better.
- Lead the design effort on upcoming mobile initiatives, including the next version of our mobile app.
- Define our mobile style guide by establishing a library of design patterns and styles and the rules around their use.
- Understand the Birchbox brand and ensure that it is upheld through all mobile experiences
- Collaborate with other designers in creating mobile-friendly layouts for emails, web assets, and feature releases
- 3-5 years of interactive design experience with at least two years designing for mobile.
- Fluent in iOS best practices and up to date on the latest mobile trends.
- Android experience a plus.
- A portfolio that includes mobiles apps that you lead the design on.
- Comfortable working iteratively, pushing design details in both the design and development stages as appropriate
- E-commerce experience preferred.
- The ability to seamlessly balance long term projects with daily design needs
- Strong communication skills and a precise attention to details
- Comfortable working in an agile development environment.
- Masterful skills in Adobe Creative Suite
- Passion and ideas about the future of Birchbox
Application Assessment -
In writing, please answer the following two questions:
1. After reviewing the current Birchbox iOS app, list three things you would improve on our current execution. What you would do to improve them and why?
2. What are three examples of mobile apps you think have outstanding design and user experience? What makes them outstanding? Feel free to include screenshots of specific examples.
PDF of answers, maximum of 6 pages.
How To Apply