The North Face: Sr. Designer (W's Outerwear)
At The North Face, we push the boundaries of innovation with our product design and development of premier apparel, equipment and footwear to enable and inspire athletes and enthusiasts to Never Stop Exploring. We remain deeply proud to be the first choice of the world's most accomplished climbers, mountaineers, extreme skiers, snowboarders, endurance runners, and explorers. If you have a passion for the outdoors and enjoy a fast-paced environment, this is the place for you!
The primary responsibilities of the Sr. Designer are to provide design work of innovative and technologically advanced products that meet the needs of the company’s customers and end users and which in turn drives company sales and profits. This position may also take responsibility for the output and execution of designs by other designers on staff. The Sr. Designer should be comfortable designing whole collections around coherent themes, functions, prices, etc and should also have an understanding product design in relation to the company brand. The Sr. Designer should be comfortable providing inspiration and foundation to design team for a collection, combining all necessary trend, material, and market research into a viable product line. Accountable for the creative production of designs to enhance the product category. Brings a track record of skillful technical design with success on the market and within elite end-users. The Sr. Designer should also expect to serve as a mentor and teacher to less experienced designers on the product team.
• Years of Related Professional Experience: 8-10.
• Bachelor's Degree in Design (apparel), or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in flat sketching expertise. Hands-on experience with CAD software. Experience in creation of design packages and execution of product designs. Experience in designing successful products and collections Experience in research and analysis and design cycles Experience in managing complete product and collection cycles.
- Strong knowledge of formulating color palettes.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of apparel construction.
- Excellent communications skills, including the ability to present concepts to product teams and review boards in a persuasive manner, and communicate responsibilities and timelines to designers on team.
- Strong knowledge of product cycles.
- Strong knowledge of product design and development process.
- Strong understanding of designing for market, trend, and end uses; evaluating those attempts.
- Basic knowledge of manufacturing processes.
- Strong knowledge of aesthetic form and the ability to design for different consumers and end uses.
- Basic knowledge of textile and material construction and properties.
- Basic knowledge of product costs and impact of design.
- Ability to manage and inspire other designers.
1. Responsible for the high-quality execution of designs for a product category; work may be performed directly by Sr. Designer or by other Designers. Works with Product Director to give input on line and product direction.
2. Execution of individual designs and collections appropriate to product and design brief. Creation of high quality design packages during design process. Use of Illustration, Designer, and Asst Design resources to support design effort.
3. Tracks a design schedule to ensure a timely completion following the predetermined product development calendar.
4. Researches industry and product periodicals for new information. Partners with material sourcing to develop innovative fabrications.
5. Creates and communicates visual presentations.
6. Partners with developers to create innovative and technologically advanced products.
7. Responsible for proof of concept work by design team. Responsible for defining product appropriate fit.
8. Presents well-defined ideas and concepts as necessary to internal staff, dealers, outside agents.
9. Manages, schedules, and facilitates performance of category design staff.
10. Performs these and other duties as assigned.
How To Apply