The Art Director oversees the visual identity of Quirk Books and our print and digital publications. This person is responsible for designing approximately 8-10 books per year. The director will manage two staff designers and a variety of freelance illustrators, photographers, and designers.
* Conceive and design covers and interiors of approximately 8-10 books a year.
* Work with Publisher to determine appropriate budgets for each title and for the design department.
* Hire and manage freelance artists and photographers to create covers and interior artwork.
* Work with Managing Editor to schedule and prepare materials for Sales meetings.
* Create designs that are appropriate for both physical and digital versions of books.
* Direct the creative work of two other staff designers (and occasional freelancers) producing additional books and related print and digital marketing materials.
* Submit key titles for industry design awards
* 5-10+ years experience in print design, preferably trade book publishing
* Ability to execute a broad range of designs for our very eclectic list. Quirk publishes adult, YA, and middle-grade fiction across all genres as well as cookbooks, craft books, history books, art books, gag gifts, tarot decks, pop-up books, graphic novels, and more.
* Knowledge of typography, illustration, and photography
* Proficiency in InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator required.
* Ability to take direction but also take initiative and create independently as well.
* Active interest in print and digital design trends
* Solid print production experience required; experience with digital production preferred
Please send resume and link to online portfolio to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
How To Apply