Cutting edge clean energy startup seeks a talented and energetic Industrial designer to assist in creating compelling energy products for the outdoor recreational market and emerging markets.
LOCATION: Brooklyn, New York
REPORTS TO: Director of Design
COMPENSATION: Salary is competitive with other early-stage startups, including benefits
WHO WE ARE
BioLite is a for-profit social enterprise that develops, manufactures and markets distributed energy solutions for off-grid communities around the world. Our first products are clean-burning, wood fueled cooking stoves capable of converting their own waste heat into electricity to charge electronic devices. Our business serves two distinct markets, 1) developing world families living in energy poverty, and 2) outdoor enthusiasts seeking fuel-independent cooking and charging.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for an Industrial Designer with 2-5 years of professional experience to join our Brooklyn team. Candidates should be strong conceptual thinkers with a passion for physical products, elegant user experiences and beautiful form. You are fluent in ideation and refinement in physical and digital media such as hand sketches, physical models, digital Illustrations and CAD. You use ethnography as a tool to discover new insights about the user, the use case and the products that we develop. You can lead a team, own tasks and are a self-starter. You are proficient in all parts of the design process from initial ideation and product definition, through research, iterative concepting, mock-ups and user testing, to design refinement, engineering and manufacturing. This is a unique opportunity to be part of the full product development process in a small and agile environment. We are building a team of collaborative leaders and are looking for strategic thinking as well as the ability to execute.
• Design Research/Ethnography– Online and in store product research, competitive analysis and inspiration gathering. In person user research in both outdoor and emerging markets.
• User and Use Case Definition – Analyze users and use cases to define product feature sets.
• Ideation and Concepting – Ideation, problem solving and product feature definition.
• Physical Model Making and Testing – Functional and aesthetic model making and product testing.
• Light Graphic Design – Supporting marketing for sales presentations, ads, and structural packaging design.
• Project Lead - Run projects, holding the vision and drive the day to day tasks of the team.
• Inspirational Creator - Contributor to a great company culture.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
• Excellent eye for design, form and functionality.
• High proficiency in sketching, analogue and digital.
• Fluent in Creative Suite and CAD (Rhino or Solidworks).
• Passion for usability and social and environmental impact.
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under tight deadlines
• Extremely detail oriented
• Self-managing and motivated.
• Excellent communication skills
Please submit your resume, cover letter and PDF portfolio to email@example.com and include “Industrial Designer ” in the subject line. Portfolios on websites will be reviewed secondary to emailed PDF’s. Please show process, research, sketching and ideation path. Thank you!
Company is not accepting candidates via recruiters.
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.