Director of User Experience, HTC Innovation
HTC is the creator of many award-winning mobile devices and industry firsts. By putting people at the center of everything it does, HTC pushes the boundaries of design and technology to create innovative and personal experiences for consumers around the globe. HTC's portfolio includes smartphones and tablets powered by HTC Sense™, a multilayered graphical user interface that vastly improves user experience. The HTC One series integrates amazing camera functionality with truly authentic sound to create the most premium experience.
Over the past 7 years, HTC's Innovation Team has created the vision for HTC Sense™, HTC's branded, cross-platform user experience. During that time, HTC has transformed from a device manufacturer into a global consumer brand. The Innovation Team provides design strategy for all of HTC, and collaborates directly with product teams in Taipei to bring new designs to market. We are a small team with the feel of a startup and the backing of a company with over $10 billion in annual sales.
Our process relies on the collaboration of exceptionally talented individuals within integrated cross-disciplinary teams to create products that offer functional benefits and emotional resonance to our target audiences.
HTC's Innovation Team is looking for a Director of User Experience with 10+ years of experience, who is driven by the desire to build and manage a group of designers, and elevate the team and its work to the next level. Candidates should demonstrate a passion for energizing the team, creating and evangelizing unique, yet relevant, design solutions, and a strong commitment to HTC's success in the mobile device market.
• Direct all user experience design activity for the Innovation design team.
• Build and facilitate relationships with product, engineering, brand and marketing teams world wide to create innovative user experiences.
• Oversee user and market research to understand the needs and desires of our target audience.
• Work with HTC customers and partners to align design strategies.
• Critique design concepts and review design documentation to provide creative direction to the UX team.
• Manage design staff organization.
• Direct the design, building, and testing of interactive prototypes to iterate and evolve design concepts.
• Oversee collaboration with related teams and secure agreement on process, schedule and deliverables for all team members.
• Present and evangelize design vision, priorities and strategy to engineering, planning and marketing teams.
• Present HTC design vision and strategy to customers and partners.
• Innovate and evangelize design culture and process within HTC's UX Design team and throughout HTC's worldwide organization.
The successful candidate will have:
• 10+ years’ interaction design experience and a focus on mobile user experience design.
• 5+ years of managing design teams
• Strong understanding of mobile trends and industry.
• Infectious passion for all technology and experience design and how it can be used to make peoples’ lives better.
• Experience shipping multiple products from concept to creation.
• Experience working with and influencing a multi-disciplinary team of UX designers/researchers, planners, engineers, business development, product planning, marketing and sales.
• Experience providing company design leadership (scope and vision).
• Experience in designing both hardware and software user experiences.
• BA/BS in Interaction Design, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, Computer-related Design, HCI, Human Factors, or closely-related field (Master’s degree is a plus).
• Strong leadership skills; the ability to identify, hire, develop, and retain the most talented people while inspiring them to peak performance.
• Ability to inspire confidence and trust with internal partners; strong collaborator.
• Out-of-the-box thinker who can challenge the status quo while setting and achieving goals.
We should get to know each other if you:
• Are thrilled by the chance to ship new products of your own design to millions of passionate HTC users.
• Live for cross-disciplinary user-centered design, but would rather design products than discuss process.
• Obsess about creating design solutions that offer both functional and emotional benefits.
• See design as both a cultural and strategic activity.
• Are happy to travel quarterly to Taipei, Taiwan to collaborate with product groups.
How To Apply