Entry Level Interior Designer
An award-winning firm located in Charlottesville, VA, VMDO Architects is dedicated to helping institutions and communities envision pivotal educational projects that translate into meaningful buildings of lasting value. Since our founding in 1976, we have been committed to designing environments that positively shape the way people live, work, and play. VMDO recognizes the impact that thoughtful and imaginative design can have on learners, teachers, parents, and the supporting community.
VMDO enjoys the success of a talented and committed staff of 61, and a positive work environment where dedication to thoughtful design and inspired efforts lead to fulfilling opportunities. Our scope of services includes programming + campus planning, architectural design, and environmental graphics + way finding. While interior architecture has long been a part of our design solutions, we’ve recently focused our efforts on providing fully integrated interior design services for our educational clients.
VMDO seeks to hire talented and eager designers who thrive in an environment encouraging of excellence. We hold fast to the belief that the most effective and elegant architectural solutions are expressed through a vital sense of insight, creativity, and invention, pursued with patience, and grounded in research and expertise. We continually seek new paths in the educational design work we do. We recognize that each school, institution, and community we work with is unique and form responsive approaches based on this audience. We promote a strong ethic of sustainability and stewardship, advocating innovative strategies that strive to change the lives of students and their support communities for the better.
Candidates for this full time position should be comfortable developing their ideas independently and communicating creative and convincing designs. The ideal candidate will collaborate with and guide various teams within VMDO’s K-12, Higher-Ed, and Athletic studio framework.
DUTIES & QUALIFICATIONS
• Perform interior design assignments that include conceptual design, schematic design, design development & construction documents
• Provides design support for graphic design team
• Develop space planning concepts and generate program documents
• Participates in selection of FF&E color palettes & material presentations, and generate specifications
• Attend client meetings and interviews
• Assist in developing materials and finishes library
• 0-2 years minimum of design experience in interiors
• Proficient in AutoCAD, Revit, 3-D programs, Sketch Up and other modeling software programs
• Proficient in Creative Adobe Suite applications
• Bachelors’ Degree in Interior Design or Architecture from accredited school
• Knowledge of furniture, finishes, materials and specifications
• Strong graphic and visualization skills to communicate design ideas
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a resume, cover letter, references, and a link to digital work samples or portfolio to Jennifer Hamilton: VMDO; 200 East Market Street; Charlottesville, VA 22902; Hamilton@vmdo.com
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.