Reports to: Product Director
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Location: Chino, CA
The Packaging Designer reports to the Director of Product, and serves as the primary contact for packaging design across multiple categories and channels of sale. The Packaging Designer is responsible for overseeing our product packaging creation, delivery and process to ensure that all product packaging is delivered on time for production. This role is responsible for packaging concept, design and workflow management; ensuring brand and design standards are met and that all packaging is delivered on time for production. This role will interface with Product, Marketing, Production, Operations and Suppliers on all packaging formats, to coordinate key structural, formal, graphic, and messaging needs.
The Packaging Designer will be responsible to ensure that the various assets required are all managed from ideation through execution in alignment and aligned with Incase goals in Brand Marketing, Product Experience, and Cost. The Packaging Designer is responsible to provide overall leadership and guidance for the entire packaging development and production process from product brief through production. The position is also accountable for researching materials, manufacturing techniques, and assisting sourcing with finding appropriate new vendor partners, as well as maintaining standards across vendors for packaging that needs to be produced at multiple sources.
As a standard process, the Packaging Designer is responsible for creating and managing key tools including; workload planning, product in process prioritization and delivery schedules. The Packaging Designer will collaborate with Product and Marketing on packaging production, art and related assets. When necessary, this role will need to be on call after standard working hours in order to ensure that all team members are working with up to date and accurate information in the USA as well as on the ground in Asia.
Key areas of responsibility include:
• Provide overall leadership to manage packaging from idea to production, specifically to oversee that all elements are tracking to schedule.
• Manage packaging design, including creating packaging concepts for sales meetings, new product introductions, regional and sales channel needs
• Be the primary liaison between the Product Team and other groups for both assets needed to complete packaging and sign-off from various leads required for packaging approval.
• Review packaging proofs for packaging approval with suppliers
• Adapt and evolve current packaging designs to new products/formats.
• Driving and evolving a process for packaging that brings innovative products to market as efficiently as possible.
Candidate Qualifications/Skills Summary:
• Degree in Packaging Design or Graphic Design with a special concentration on packaging
• 3-5 years of experience in design and development of retail packaging for a major manufacturer across a wide variety of product categories and packaging formats
• Broad knowledge of materials, material applications, manufacturing methods, and feasibility.
• Experience and familiarity with additional leading contemporary processes for all manners of packaged goods
• Experience with all types of printing processes on all types of media
• A strong portfolio of packaging print and graphic design work demonstrating inherent talent
• Dynamic understanding of design and development processes, from concept to production.
• Stylistic ability; Including experience with type, pattern, color, textiles and pictorial depiction
• Good communication skills and the ability to build consensus and drive decisions.
• Critical thinker and reliable decision-maker, with strong attention to detail and an appetite for success
• Time management skills with prior experience in a setting with relatively short product development timelines, and multiple projects is ideal
• Ability to prioritize and re-prioritize workload needed
• A person who truly enjoys shepherding the development process and believes in working hard while having fun.
How To Apply