Unix System Administrator – various locations
Booking.com – planet Earth’s #1 accommodation website – is looking for the world’s strongest UNIX System Administrators for our following offices: Singapore, Seattle-Bellevue, Cambridge and Amsterdam.
As a member of our IT Production Team you’ll be given the freedom to make meaningful and measurable improvements impacting millions of people. You’ll be working on 6000+ boxes placed in different live operating, global data centers around the world as well as working within one of the biggest e-commerce companies in the world! You’ll join us in one of our beautiful offices and work with some of our industry’s smartest people.
About the IT Production Team Booking.com is all about teamwork and it’s that constant cooperation that keeps us motivated. We push the limits of our open source technology stack by contributing upstream to a number of projects which include UNIX, Linux, CentOS, puppet, chef, Perl, Python and more. By proactively thinking about scalability we can ensure the growth of Booking.com. As an UNIX System Administrator you’ll be a key part of our scalability process, working in small teams who take full ownership of their part of our systems. You’ll work with other system administrators, database administrators, developers and product owners to investigate, analyze, deploy, monitor, automate, implement, troubleshoot and scale up in a dynamic environment where we require you to constantly challenge the systems & processes.
- Automating systems management of new and existing systems. An intensive automation and scripting mindset is essential
- Actively monitoring the performance and stability of all the production systems at Booking.com, using your analytical skills to anticipate future problems and resolve them effectively
- Troubleshooting and resolving problems with other systems administrators, database administrators, software developers, and commercial business colleagues. Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills are essential, including with little initial knowledge of a problem
- Supporting the rapid development and deployment of internal software and systems. You will need to think on your feet
- Provide excellent service in response to commercial business requirements
- Documenting systems and communicate technical knowledge to colleague
- Ability to learn new things quickly is essential
- You will have the ability to make a big impact and the responsibility to do the right thing
- Participate in an on-call rotation for out of hours support
- Required skills and experience
- Good programming skills in Python or Perl
- High proficiency in Bourne shell scripting
- Strong experience of Linux systems administration
- Experience and interest in systems automation and systems programming
- Strong interest and ability to analyze systems for scalability and reliability problems which you can then resolve yourself
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills, under pressure
- Good team communication skills, with technical and non-technical colleague
- Curiosity and dedication
We offer a competitive salary plus bonus, with possibilities for further career opportunities within our fast growing company. The position in Cambridge is open to EU candidates (preferably reside in UK already) only due to UK work visa restrictions.
This position is also open in Singapore & Seattle. We're also looking for candidates for the Unix System Administrator Teamlead position in Amsterdam. Please mind the work permit requirements.
Please submit your CV and motivation/cover letter in English
- Unix System Administrator Team Lead – Amsdterdam - https://workingatbooking.com/vacancies/unix-system-administrator-team-lead-amsterdam/ Unix
- System Administrator – Cambridge - https://workingatbooking.com/vacancies/unix-system-administrator-cambridge/
- Unix System Administrator – Seattle - https://workingatbooking.com/vacancies/unix-system-administrator-seattle/
- Unix System Administrator – Singapore - https://workingatbooking.com/vacancies/unix-system-administrator-singapore/
Please mind the work permit requirements.
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.