Senior Structural Designer
The Senior Structural Designer will be responsible for the design and development of industrial and graphic packaging in addition to retail POP displays. This individual will utilize Artios CAD as the primary design tool to create client solutions and creative designs. The structural designer's work will support business development and client growth.
Job Duties and Responsibilities include:
• Develop corrugated display designs that utilize unique design perspective and include both corrugated substrates and alternative temporary substrates and materials
• Generate detailed display specifications to efficiently utilize the company’s manufacturing and fulfillment capabilities (including material, production information, label lines, multi-outs, etc.) and validate specifications of fellow Structural Designers for overall accuracy
• Collaborate with cross-functional teams during research, ideation, evaluation and validation stages of all design solutions
• Cooperate with cross-functional teams to provide resources for the delivery of winning concepts and engineered designs
• Create mock-ups and short production runs; work with Graphic Designers to exchange files and layouts for CAD lines; alter labels and spot label positions in CAD files as required
• Approve cutting dies and generate corresponding mylars for production approval
• Coordinate with Design Assistant to maintain supplies for mock-ups, mylars, samples, etc.
• Design all forms of POP displays, graphic packaging and industrial packaging
• Develop distribution and in-store setup instruction sheets for displays and retail packaging and to support client education
• Initiate actions to prevent problems and contribute solutions; document quality problems; verify implementation of solutions; and control further processing when a problem is identified
• Understand and interpret documents such as packaging design specifications, operating instructions, including training and procedure manuals
• Maintain process in record, specifications and revisions to provide accuracy
• Accompany sales and creative teams on design-related meetings and presentations as needed
• Must work well under pressure with multiple interruptions while continuing to meet tight deadlines
• Team player
• Committed to supporting the needs of the business
• Minimum 10 years experience in structural packaging design – corrugated and display industries
• Extensive design experience in retail POP displays, graphic packaging and industrial packaging
• Complete mastery of Artios CAD software, including parametric designs
• Strong experience in Adobe CS-6
• Capable of operating sample table cutting devices (i.e. Kongsberg tables)
• Proficient with CAPE design and palletization software
• Ability to manage multiple projects and multi-task in a highly dynamic and fast-paced environment
• Demonstrate a passion for design and the discipline for excellence of your design product
• Must be able to present concepts, ideas and samples both internally and in client-touch settings
• Design specialties and creative execution must meet manufacturing specifications and budgets
• Exceptional analytical, problem solving and creativity abilities
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• College degree in Structural Design, Package Engineering/Packaging Science or Industrial Design from an accredited institution
• Experience with SolidWorks and/or Strata 3D (understanding of 3D rendering protocols for the Packaging and Display Markets) a plus
• Experience in display and/or retail ready packaging design/development
• Experience with package testing and methodologies (UN, ISTA, etc.)
• Ability to comfortably present concepts to technical and non-technical audiences
***Must be able to provide access to portfolio of work***
Thank you for your interest in employment with The Drake Company. Please provide your responses to the following questions as part of the application screening:
1. We are located inside the 610 West Loop between 290 & I-10. Is this an acceptable daily commute for you? If not, are you willing to relocate?
2. We are located in an industrial community. Are you comfortable in a manufacturing environment?
3. Are you willing to submit to a background check? Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense?
4. Please provide your compensation expectations and relocation requirements as applicable.
5. Please send your resume and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.