Industrial Designer - 028847
Georgia-Pacific (GP) is among the world's leading manufacturers of bath tissue, paper towels, napkins, tableware, paper-based packaging, office papers, cellulose, specialty fibers, nonwoven fabrics, building products and related chemicals. Our building products business makes DensGlass® gypsum board often seen in commercial construction, DryPly® plywood and RESI-MIX® wood adhesives, among others. Our containerboard and packaging business offers high-end graphic packaging to bulk bins as well as Golden Isles fluff pulp. You may also recognize consumer brands like Angel Soft®, Brawny®, and Dixie® on retail shelves and enMotion® towels, Compact® bath tissue and SmartStock® cutlery dispensers when you are away from home. Our GP Harmon business is one of the world's largest recyclers of paper, metal and plastics. As a Koch Company, we create long-term value using resources efficiently to provide innovative products and solutions that meet the needs of customers and society, while operating in a manner that is environmentally and socially responsible, and economically sound. Headquartered in Atlanta, GA., we employ approximately 35,000 people. For more information, visit www.gp.com.
As an Industrial Designer you will play a key role on the Experience Design Team that supports the GP Professional business in its innovation and new product development efforts. You will work both with our category teams located at our headquarters in Atlanta, GA as well as our Technical Center in Neenah, Wisconsin. In this role you will define user experiences, interfaces and bring form to your solutions using our Visual Brand Languages as guidelines. You will partner with Innovation Leaders, Consumer Insights, Categories, Engineering and Concept Development Leaders to gather insights, define design criteria and lead the product design to ensure Brand & Product architecture guidelines and experience expectations are being met as you see them through to commercialization.
This role will focus primarily in two areas. The first area is in the early-stages of innovation, which will include in-field immersion and observation, brainstorming, concept generation and illustration. The second area will be working with design peers and leadership in taking the concepts from the early stages of innovation and developing the final design solution while adhering to brand guidelines, focusing on the total experience and ensuring the insight remains intact in the final design solution.
• Participate in immersion programs including site visits, ethnographies and focus groups
• Creativity-based activities (e.g. brainstorming, concept development, prototyping)
• Frequent collaboration and communication with marketing, insights and R&D teams
• Application of insights into innovative design solutions
• Develop patent-able features and product concepts
• Execute as directed against brand strategies & guidelines
• Regular sharing and presenting work to category and R&D teams
• Work closely with Engineering ensuring design intent, develop specifications and validate prototypes
• Creation of support materials for Intellectual Property (IP) activities
• Participates / actively seeks opportunities for mentorship
• Basic knowledge of competitive product, segment environments and market influences
• Bachelor's Degree or higher in Industrial Design
• 2 years of industrial design experience (either in-house design or consultancy)
• Experience using industry standard tools, such as SolidWorks, Adobe Suite, Keyshot and/or SB Pro.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
• Strong fundamentals (sketching, concept generation, form development, visual communication)
• Excellent communication skills (verbal & visual)
• Creative thinking + problem solving skills
• Basic technical understanding (including basic engineering principles, materials & manufacturing processes)
• Ability to occasionally travel and work domestically
• Self-motivated with a strong work ethic
• Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks and assignments simultaneously
• Experience / training in UX Design a plus
• Evidence of product in the market a plus
Candidates will be asked to provide work samples (a PDF file under 7mb).
Salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.
This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf
Interested candidates should apply online using the link below:
How To Apply