Chair of Industrial Design
SCAD seeks a multidisciplinary designer who understands the human user, business context and effective application of technology to chair the industrial design department.
This award-winning program cultivates highly motivated, visionary students who consider business challenges while creating and communicating innovative solutions that improve people’s lives. As the full-time chair of the department at SCAD Savannah, you will advance these objectives and prepare the next generation of creative leaders.
SCAD professors have the opportunity to teach in cross-disciplinary classroom environments. The chair of the department is also responsible for shaping the program and defining strategies for success.
The successful candidate is an enthusiastic educator who possesses passion for design and a strong desire to share knowledge through experience and persistence. This is your chance to work with a team of talented students within the historic district of Savannah, Georgia, a walkable, bikeable coastal city providing a living laboratory for the study of art and design.
• Terminal degree or its equivalent in industrial design or a related field
• Minimum five years of industrial design experience including design, concept-to-market, manufacturing and design strategy
• A demonstrated record of holding design leadership positions and project management
• Record of innovative and clever product development
• Desire to mentor exceptional students
• Keen eye to the development of impactful product aesthetics
• Mastery of design process to generate memorable solutions
• Proven creation of products that became marketplace disruptors
• Possess great communication skills and be able to motivate students and faculty to think creatively and critically
• Ability to efficiently manage administrative duties
• Ability to apply high-level theoretical and practical models to the field of industrial design in order to prepare students for rapidly evolving design careers
• Knowledge of Rhino or SolidWorks software preferred
• College level administration and teaching experience preferred
For complete submission requirements, please visit our website using the URL listed and follow application instructions:
SCAD: The University for Creative Careers
The Savannah College of Art and Design is a private, nonprofit, accredited university, offering more than 100 academic degree programs in 41 majors at locations in Atlanta and Savannah, Georgia; Hong Kong; Lacoste, France; and online via SCAD eLearning.
SCAD enrolls 12,000 undergraduate and graduate students from more than 100 countries. SCAD’s innovative curriculum is enhanced by advanced, professional-level technology, equipment and learning resources, as well as opportunities for internships, professional certifications and collaborative projects with corporate partners. In 2014, the prestigious Red Dot Design Rankings placed SCAD in the top ten universities in the Americas and Europe. Career preparation is woven into every fiber of the university, resulting in a superior alumni placement rate. In a survey of Spring 2014 SCAD graduates, 97 percent of respondents reported being employed, pursuing further education, or both, within 10 months of graduation.
For more information, visit scad.edu.
Note: Only complete packages will be considered. An unofficial transcript of your highest degree awarded, cover letter, resume or CV, and portfolio are required. For the portfolio, you have the option to upload electronic documents/images, or a URL. Should you have questions regarding your application package, you may submit an email to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How To Apply