Sr. UX Designer
Founded in 1999, Dexcom, Inc. provides continuous glucose monitoring technology to help patients and their clinicians better manage diabetes. Since our inception, we have focused on better outcomes for patients, caregivers, and clinicians by delivering solutions for people with diabetes - while empowering our community to take control of diabetes.
Be part of an enthusiastic team focusing on delivering innovative experiences that improve quality of life, and influences the industry. As part of the UX team, you will be instrumental in driving the strategic direction to help people take control of their diabetes. This position will encompass strategic oversight, new product development and an execution component.
Strategic oversight component: Work in cross-disciplinary team to research and strategically identify and define target customers, new products and features that will win in the marketplace using the Design Thinking process. Identify focused insight-based opportunities grounded on business need as well as user and stakeholder (may include players from medical, regulatory, insurance landscape for example) needs. Identify and clarify business goals as well as technology possibilities, constraints and trends. Ultimately responsible for combining all of the above (user + business + technology) to drive future portfolio recommendations to the business.
New product development component: Work with cross-functional product development teams to ensure original design intent is maintained as product assets are created. Ensure that the Voice of the Consumer, as heard in upfront user research, is not lost as hardware, software, packaging, web, app solutions are prototyped, tested and iterated upon. Create user experience specifications to enable program teams to succeed independently. Shepherd the experience and pivot as needed.
Execution component: Able to lead, execute, and at times moderate, exploratory user research. Able to create research stimuli including storyboards, product sketches and user flows. Lead workshops and brainstorms, participatory design as needed and deliver findings and recommendations internally and to cross-functional teams. Proactively perform data mining, clinical and literature review, and competitive analyses to understand the market and fill knowledge gaps.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Drive new product development and definition of future portfolio needs. Support process to align
key corporate stakeholders to approved portfolio of products and experiences.
• Improve the consumer experience and strengthen brand messaging at various touch points of
the user journey.
• Combine user needs, foundational design principles, market intel, and business need to create
guidelines for end-to-end ecosystem experience, including product hardware, app, and service
• Develop user experience strategies that reinforce the brand promise and satisfy user’s needs.
• Provide a framework for Dexcom’s tone of voice/positioning/attitude in new product design.
• Develop methods, techniques and criteria for achieving design objectives when managing external agencies.
• Consign consumer research & analysis to define market & customer needs, new product
opportunities and requirements.
• Introduce Design Thinking and the user centered design process to the organization
• Identify consumer insights and then innovate on the consumer insights to provide new-to-the-
world experience enhancing solutions.
• Serve as primary marketing liaison with external partner companies related to product
development projects and commercialization.
• Contribute to design department growth and staffing, and hiring new talent.
• Collaborate with Human Factors to determine formative and validation research goals and
methodology, and incorporate findings into iterative design-test-refine lifecycle.
• Proficient with design tools such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch and good understanding of
• Portfolio of work that illustrates product, app, and/or service accomplishment, and to include
personas, journey maps, mental models, user experience flows, scenarios and process.
• Experience with diabetes medical devices and cross-functional team management preferred but
• Master's degree (M.B.A.) or equivalent; five (5) or more years related experience and/or training
(at least 3 in Marketing, Design or equivalent); or equivalent combination of education and
experience. Design, Engineering, Economics, or Marketing degree desired. Previous
experience in consumer product design preferred.
If you would like to be considered for this position, please submit your resume with a link to your online portfolio.
Please include a link to your online portfolio in your resume.
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.